Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Total Move in Fees and Amenities

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Pennsylvania.

Are landlords required to divulge all fees in their advertizing for rent? Two days ago, I visited a sample apartment and liked it. When I asked him about all the fees that
    I would have to pay to move in, he stated that all that information is listed in the brochure he provided.
    When I arrived home, I checked the brochure and none of the important fees were listed. So I sent an email asking for this information and he had two days to respond and has not. In other words, it's best to get things in writing before any application or lease signing.
    In another instance, a different landlord wanted me sign and pay for an application before showing me a vacant apartment.

Default Re: Total Move in Fees and Amenities

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post

Are landlords required to divulge all fees in their advertising for rent?
    Wouldn't surprise me if the answer is no. But you can check with your state's consumer affairs agency.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    In other words, it's best to get things in writing before any application or lease signing.
    In another instance, a different landlord wanted me sign and pay for an application before showing me a vacant apartment.
    Appears that you are smart enough to avoid the scams.

Keep up the good work. Question everything. Get everything in writing. Never put up a nickel until you are shown an apartment that's turnkey and is the one that you will be renting. Also make sure you thoroughly inspect everything on day one and photograph it up one side and down the other.

Another thing that might help you is that there are websites where you can look up the name of the apartment complex and read reviews.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pennsylvan...ws&t=h_&ia=web

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    So I sent an email asking for this information and he had two days to respond and has not.
    Well...what was the point of saying that "he had two days to respond" if you're not going to walk away because of his failure to respond in that time? If you're not going to walk away, then you shouldn't give hard deadlines.

Beyond that, I don't really understand what you're asking. If you're asking whether you're entitled to specific details about advertising costs, the answer is no. If you're asking whether the landlord is required to disclose exactly how much of a check you'll have to write to move in, that's up to you. If you haven't signed a lease, then you're free to walk away if you don't get the disclosure you want. If you have already signed a lease, then you're only obligated to pay whether it says in the lease.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Well...what was the point of saying that "he had two days to respond" if you're not going to walk away because of his failure to respond in that time? If you're not going to walk away, then you shouldn't give hard deadlines.

Beyond that, I don't really understand what you're asking. If you're asking whether you're entitled to specific details about advertising costs, the answer is no. If you're asking whether the landlord is required to disclose exactly how much of a check you'll have to write to move in, that's up to you. If you haven't signed a lease, then you're free to walk away if you don't get the disclosure you want. If you have already signed a lease, then you're only obligated to pay whether it says in the lease.
    The subject of my post says it all. I did not give him two days to reply. You misinterpreted. It's been two days since I requested the information. No body I know will rent an apartment without getting everything in writing such as: Rent, Security, one time fee for a pet, recurring monthly fee for a pet, utilities cost and administration fee etc etc.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    The subject of my post says it all. I did not give him two days to reply. You misinterpreted. It's been two days since I requested the information. No body I know will rent an apartment without getting everything in writing such as: Rent, Security, one time fee for a pet, recurring monthly fee for a pet, utilities cost and administration fee etc etc.
    Words mean things. "he had two days to respond" implied that there was some limiting factor on his time to reply. If you had written, "he has had two days to respond" would mean that he hasn't replied in two days.

You are correct that one should have all of those things in writing before they agree to a lease or even an application if there is an application fee.

The document that would need to have those fees spelled out is called a lease which you don't have to sign until you agree with all of that and more spelled out.

I am willing to bet that before one see's a lease then one has to sign an application first and pay the cost ($35.00 to $50.00). So if one does not like the lease , then he lose's his application fee if he does not sign it. The only way an application fee is refunded is when one fails the application process.
    I suppose I may have to ignore all who do not place all their requirements online and concentrate on those who do.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I am willing to bet that before one see's a lease then one has to sign an application first and pay the cost ($35.00 to $50.00). So if one does not like the lease , then he lose's his application fee if he does not sign it. The only way an application fee is refunded is when one fails the application process.

No reason you can't ask for (or demand) a copy of the lease to review before you hand over the application fee. And walk away if you don't get it.

If you want to get ahead of the game you can download Pennsylvania residential lease forms from the internet and get a preliminary idea of what you might be getting into.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pennsylvan...rm&t=h_&ia=web

The one from the Landlord Association is probably as comprehensive as any lease you'll see out there.

https://www.landlordassocpa.com/Memb...0Agreement.pdf

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I suppose I may have to ignore all who do not place all their requirements online and concentrate on those who do.
    You'll be passing up a lot of nice places if you do that.

Back in the Stone Age when we old folks didn't have the advantage of the internet, apartment complexes ran small ads in the newspaper with very little information and we had to go there to have a look and talk to the management.

Is this going to be your first apartment?

This will be my second apartment. About 80% of the apartments say online that they do not accept dogs. But some of them do not update their websites and may have changed their policy. I have a list of 6 apartments that I should phone them for an update.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    Ok, so at this point, I'm hard pressed to see any legal issue here. If you haven't signed a lease and want certain info before signing, then you either get the info and sign or don't sign based on that info, or you don't get the info and don't sign or sign anyway. Regardless, none of this appears to implicate any legal issue.

I have one more question:

Is it legal for a lease manager in Pennsylvania to deny me an inspection of a vacant apartment except on day of move in?

Below are his exact words:

"Additionally our units aren't available for inspection until the day you move because either the tenant is still in the unit or we are rehabbing the unit".

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast