Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Total Move in Fees and Amenities

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I have one more question:

Is it legal for a lease manager in Pennsylvania to deny me an inspection of a vacant apartment except on day of move in?

Below are his exact words:

"Additionally our units aren't available for inspection until the day you move because either the tenant is still in the unit or we are rehabbing the unit".
    Yes, it is legal.

It is also legal for you to tell the manager to stuff it and go find another apartment.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    Is it legal for a lease manager in Pennsylvania to deny me an inspection of a vacant apartment except on day of move in?
    Yes.

Thanks,
    Before I write him off in about two weeks, I'll call and ask if there are any vacancies. Then ask if I can inspect them. if not, I'll place one star on the reviews.
    Some Landlords or their managers think they hold all the cards.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    Thanks,
    Before I write him off in about two weeks, I'll call and ask if there are any vacancies. Then ask if I can inspect them. if not, I'll place one star on the reviews.
    Some Landlords or their managers think they hold all the cards.
    Why would you give him one star? They have told you beforehand that they don't do pre-inspections. It isn't illegal and is their right. Just move on with your life.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I have one more question:

Below are his exact words:

"Additionally our units aren't available for inspection until the day you move because either the tenant is still in the unit or we are rehabbing the unit".
    By inspection, are we talking about listing any potential damages etc, or are we talking about you getting to see the unit at all? In any case, don't sign the lease unless you at least get to see the unit first.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Why would you give him one star? They have told you beforehand that they don't do pre-inspections. It isn't illegal and is their right. Just move on with your life.
    People can be dicks and not break the law, which we can and should write reviews to expose.

General respect and a good business ethic is rarely dictated by the law.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    That puts the potential renter at a disadvantage. The manager will ask for his fee for doing a credit and background check; usually about $50.00 and you still not see the apartment. So if he wants to run a scam and tells you that you failed the income test ( that has already happen at another complex ). I guess its my fault I been on pension for 25 years and social security for 18 years and not receiving a COLA from my employer. My gross income is $36,000 per year and the rental fees are about $1135 to $1200 on average for a one bedroom apartment. One does not get the rejection from the landlord directly. It is passed on by the manager to you by phone call or email. So I do not know anyone willing to pay every manager $50.00 for a credit check. So If I cannot change his mind, then his complex deserves one star. He may have terms but renter's have terms also.
    One other thing, I sent him an email a week ago listing all the information and fees required and he has not answered yet.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    So If I cannot change his mind, then his complex deserves one star. He may have terms but renter's have terms also.
    Agree. Shady tactics (legal or not) should be revealed.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post

One other thing, I sent him an email a week ago listing all the information and fees required and he has not answered yet.
    Of course not. He's got plenty of suckers that will do it his way.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    That puts the potential renter at a disadvantage. The manager will ask for his fee for doing a credit and background check; usually about $50.00 and you still not see the apartment. So if he wants to run a scam and tells you that you failed the income test ( that has already happen at another complex ). I guess its my fault I been on pension for 25 years and social security for 18 years and not receiving a COLA from my employer. My gross income is $36,000 per year and the rental fees are about $1135 to $1200 on average for a one bedroom apartment. One does not get the rejection from the landlord directly. It is passed on by the manager to you by phone call or email. So I do not know anyone willing to pay every manager $50.00 for a credit check. So If I cannot change his mind, then his complex deserves one star. He may have terms but renter's have terms also.
    He didn't answer your request a week ago so I simply don't understand why you would continue to want to live there. Move on.

He is not the only lease manager that has ignored email requests based on my experience. However I will give him another chance to comply with my requests. Most of the information found on websites regarding apartments come's up short and one has to pry this information out of them in person. Maybe the lease managers do it differently in other States.
    I have narrowed down my choice to just three apartments out of about a dozen. This is why I am giving him a second chance. If I do not find a vacancy in those three, then I will place all my property in storage and go homeless rather then pay a outragious increase in rent at my present location for a month to month lease.
    If I have to go homeless, the big benefit for me is I'll be able to pay down my credit card bill and pay it off in about 7 months or less.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast