Default Eviction From A Storage Unit

Hello,

I have an unusual and silly situation. I am a Katrina victim that is still fighting legal battles over my Katrina money. Anyway, my belongings have been in storage since Katrina and my money is VERY tight right now because I am drawing unemployment. When I rented the storage unit, I was able to make my due date convenient for me (the 10th of the month) because of other bills I needed to pay on the first of the month. The facility has changed ownership and names several times during this time period. One of the new owners several months back changed my due date to the first of the month against my wishes because it would cause me late fees if I continued paying on the 10th. They said thay would work with me and have been taking my payments without charging me the late fee until last month. (Doesn't this establis a pattern?)

There has been trouble with the security gate and I have made several complaints since this facility is not in a very good neighborhood and I don't feel safe going there without it being operational. Maybe my problem below is retaliation for my complaints.

Last month I dropped my payment in the drop box after hours. I noticed that the check had not cleared my bank after 10 days, so I went by the office to find out what happened. It turns out that they had mailed my check back to me because I didn't include the late fee. All total, they were charging me $45 in late fees for the month. I became quite emotional since I have been struggling financially to pay my bills all this time and $45 might as well be a million dollars for me right now. I made a comment that it is very difficult for me right now financially and that it is tough living out of a storage unit. I went ahead and paid everything including the late fee.

A few days ago I went to retrieve something out of my unit and found a letter taped to it saying that "since I informed the office I was living in my storage unit" that this letter serves as my notice to vacate. I'm thinking what the heck are they talking about? They refused to discuss it with me and then I sent a neighbor (I am staying with relatives right now) and another person on my behalf to talk with them. They told these people unequivacally that I was "living" in my storage unit and that they were evicting me! I couldn't believe what I was hearing! My comment was meant to mean that everything I own is in storage and therefore living "out of my storage unit" not living "in" it for goodness sakes! I would think most people would know what I mean. Katrina victims surely would!

These people won't listen to reason, but I know for a fact that the keypad logs my entry every time I enter my code and there are also security cameras!!! They know that what they are saying is not true for goodness sakes! I am in no position financially to hire people to move me (I have very heavy furniture) and it seems other facilities are more expensive.

Can I get an injunction to stop this since this is completely false? They know full well it is false because of their keypad logs and security camera logs would show that. They are just being petty and mean. Can I sue them for defamation of character? This is so ridiculous I can't believe it is happening!

Default Re: Eviction From A Storage Unit

Their interpretation of your statement is different than what you intended, but it is not an unreasonable interpretation. Also, provided they act in accord with state law and your contract, they are within their rights to decline to do business with you. You don't indicate how much notice they gave - can you fill us in?

I only have until the first week of June. I have told several people about he comment I made and *NOT ONE* interpreted it as if I was living in the unit.

For goodness sakes the keypad that I enter my code in leaves a log trail of when I have been in and out and their are also security cameras. They know it's not true.

Since this is the reason they gave and that it is a false reason, can I stop it with an injumction or restraining order?

You don't have the right to continue your tenancy if they terminate it in a manner consistent with the law and your lease agreement, even if they are mistaken in their reason for deciding to end your tenancy.
    Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    [P]rovided they act in accord with state law and your contract, they are within their rights to decline to do business with you. You don't indicate how much notice they gave - can you fill us in?

do they have to take her to court?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You don't have the right to continue your tenancy if they terminate it in a manner consistent with the law and your lease agreement, even if they are mistaken in their reason for deciding to end your tenancy.

But this is the reason they are providing to evict me and it is a FALSE reason! They also KNOW it is FALSE because they have keypad logs AND security cameras. Can I get an injunction to stop it? I do not have the money to move my things right now. I consider it defamatory as well.

Asking the same questions more than once won't change my answer.

1. Sponsored Links