Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question 60 Day Notice

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Riverside, California.

My daughter lost her job due to corona virus. Her renewal rental lease due in June. She just got a 60 day notice. They will not renew her lease.
    She contacted them and told due to her loss of income she could not pay the rent. As this is not an eviction yet.....because California governor
    said no evictions til may 31 st I think.

What are her options? She has two school age children and she is going to move but how cant she move when they want her to keep paying rent until the 60 days? Could she waive her deposit and avoid long court battle until she can move out in 60 days? She cant pay rent and find a place at the same time. She wants out and want to avoid court but as the loss of job what are her alternatives?
    Thank you for your help. She did contact them she lost her job due to coronavirus. It did not make at difference with the property management.

Default Re: 60 Day Notice

OK, she lost her job. Did she immediately file for unemployment compensation?

You're right. The ban on evictions is through May 31. That doesn't absolve anybody from debts incurred during the crisis.

If she stays without paying rent the LL could file for eviction on June 1 and, assuming the courts are in session, she could be put out within a couple of weeks and have an eviction on her record which would make it difficult for her to find suitable housing. She would, of course, have her deposit applied to unpaid rent. If the deposit doesn't cover the rent and the condition of the rental, then she could be sued for more money and that's not good either.

If she pays rent and stays until expiration, she'll be eligible to get her deposit back within 21 days, assuming she leaves no damage to the rental.

If she doesn't have enough money to arrange for a new place I would hope that's where you come in, DAD, and help her out financially to tide her over, until she gets her deposit back and can get back on track.

Sarah,
    You should only listen to professionals in the field who not only have their ear to the ground on the matter but also have your best interests in mind. IMO, being told to "get the money from Dad" is insulting.

This person/link may be one of those to consider. But, don't just believe your currently threatening landlord, you will likely have protections from the govt that you, or your landlord, are not aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFOfHnO2Nx8

Your questions raise more of a practical issue than a legal issue.

It's not completely clear, but it sounds like your daughter's lease expires in a couple months and the landlord doesn't want to renew the lease. I also assume the notice that the landlord gave is a termination of the tenancy as of the expiration date (as opposed to merely being a notice of non-intent to renew the lease).

Your daughter is obligated to pay rent for all times when she lives in the premises. If she doesn't pay, then she's subject to being evicted and sued for the unpaid rent. As you noted, that's not going to happen immediately, but it's only a delay.

When she moves out, the landlord can apply her security deposit for cleaning, damages in excess of normal wear and tear, and unpaid rent.

Not much anyone here can say beyond that.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Your questions raise more of a practical issue than a legal issue.

It's not completely clear, but it sounds like your daughter's lease expires in a couple months and the landlord doesn't want to renew the lease. I also assume the notice that the landlord gave is a termination of the tenancy as of the expiration date (as opposed to merely being a notice of non-intent to renew the lease).

Your daughter is obligated to pay rent for all times when she lives in the premises. If she doesn't pay, then she's subject to being evicted and sued for the unpaid rent. As you noted, that's not going to happen immediately, but it's only a delay.

When she moves out, the landlord can apply her security deposit for cleaning, damages in excess of normal wear and tear, and unpaid rent.

Not much anyone here can say beyond that.
    These laws are changing by the hour. Are you really keeping up on them all?

Hello,
    Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it greatly. Unfortunately Dad has been also has been out of employment because of coronavirus.
    Yes she did apply for unemployment problem is as all of you know although it is appreciate a little too late with the stimulus payment. The rent
    and bills have stacked up like the rest of you. Thanks again

Thank you for your understanding. I will definitely check it out. Dad is not always the answer as he has been effected as well.
    Good day

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    These laws are changing by the hour. Are you really keeping up on them all?
    Are you? Really? For all 50 states?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Are you? Really? For all 50 states?
    I am not a renter so I am not keeping up with the latest in renting. Besides, I did not offer any advice. But I am a self-employed, small business owner and I am very up to date on The PPP and The EIDL

Not everyone is still employed, has the money still coming in and gets the stimulus money on top of their pay, their pension or their SS. Some people are really hurt by this and can do without unsympathetic wisecracks like "get it from your Daddy."

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    Dad is not always the answer as he has been effected as well.
    I overlooked the user name or I would have addressed the comment to Mom.

I was speaking as a parent who would help my kids through troubled times.

Could she and her kids live with you (or her Dad) temporarily after her lease is up?

Are you so sure you can accurate read the intended tone of every post, Harold?

And you did offer advice - you advised the OP to ignore the answers she was given, without offering anything to substitute.

How helpful is that?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast