Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: License Suspended 3.5 Years After Its Surrendered to Another State

Insurance lapse, according to the NY driving record.

Quote Quoting jaydee
    View Post
    NY DMV has shut down the phones and the email function on their site. So far, I haven't been able to find any other way to contact them.
    Then send them a registered letter proving the time line and included documentation that you surrendered your NY license to GA and you registered your car in GA and have had continuous insurance.

You may want to check out this webpage.

Did you surrender your plates or do you still have them?

Quote Quoting jaydee
    View Post
    Insurance lapse, according to the NY driving record.
    I have never seen a license suspension for an insurance lapse. What is the date of the suspension?

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Then send them a registered letter proving the time line and included documentation that you surrendered your NY license to GA and you registered your car in GA and have had continuous insurance.
    Send a registered letter to whom exactly?

NY would not have suspended anything under the circumstances - the vehicles should not have existed in the system as far as the DMV was concerned. Either the OP is not making all the facts clear or something is wrong with his timeline. It's possible that the lapse occurred prior to his leaving the state - in which case he's on the hook for a civil penalty and suspension termination fees.

The date of the suspension is important.

The first place I would go to if I was the OP is his insurance company. At least, the company that insured him in NY before he left. Insurance companies are the ones that report lapses and do so pretty much instantly.

As I said, I have never seen a license suspension for a lapse.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    I'm guessing you cancelled your NY policy before you turned in your NY plates.
    I suspect you were correct when you posted that and question if OP ever surrendered his plates. If he did then he would have gotten a receipt in the mail. The webpage from the DMV has a form to fill out when you either mail the plates or do it in person. If OP did not surrender the plates then it stands to reason that the registration was never ended. And that registration came back with no insurance. He surrendered his NY license to GA but we don't know if he surrendered the plates to cancel the registration.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post

Send a registered letter to whom exactly?

NY would not have suspended anything under the circumstances - the vehicles should not have existed in the system as far as the DMV was concerned. Either the OP is not making all the facts clear or something is wrong with his timeline. It's possible that the lapse occurred prior to his leaving the state - in which case he's on the hook for a civil penalty and suspension termination fees.

The date of the suspension is important.

The first place I would go to if I was the OP is his insurance company. At least, the company that insured him in NY before he left. Insurance companies are the ones that report lapses and do so pretty much instantly.
    He would send the letter to the NY DMV of course. The first thing the webpage I linked to above says:

When you need to surrender plate(s)

Before you end the vehicle's liability insurance coverage.

If you do not turn in your plate(s), we will suspend your registration and can suspend your driver license.
    Note that it says suspend your registration. It doesn't say cancel. So his registration is still in the system.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2