Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Banking

A deposit was made to my daughter's account and the bank said after 30 days if no claimant it is hers.
    Help

Default Re: Banking

Quote Quoting fred210grice@gmail.com
    View Post
    A deposit was made to my daughter's account and the bank said after 30 days if no claimant it is hers.
    Help
    It should say who made the payment. It could have been a stimulus payment, it appears that a few people have received them already.

Even if the bank made an error and accidentally deposited into your account, they have a certain amount of time to find it and fix it. Otherwise it is legally yours.

View Post
    Help
    The details of the deposit and which state's law applies matter. Without that information, there's not much I can tell you about this. It may well be the case that the payment is hers to keep after 30 days in the sense that the bank won't reverse the deposit after 30 days. However, if the deposit was wrongfully made to her account and the money really belongs to someone else, it might still be the case after 30 days that she could be successfully sued by the true owner of the money to get it back.

View Post
    Help
    Tell her not to spend it until she knows the source of the funds and has verified that the money is hers, just in case someone did make a mistake. It does happen.

As was noted stimulus payments are posting from 4/9 to 4/15, perhaps that's it?

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    The details of the deposit and which state's law applies matter. Without that information, there's not much I can tell you about this. It may well be the case that the payment is hers to keep after 30 days in the sense that the bank won't reverse the deposit after 30 days. However, if the deposit was wrongfully made to her account and the money really belongs to someone else, it might still be the case after 30 days that she could be successfully sued by the true owner of the money to get it back.
    But not after 90 days.

Quote Quoting bcr229
    View Post
    Tell her not to spend it until she knows the source of the funds and has verified that the money is hers, just in case someone did make a mistake. It does happen.

As was noted stimulus payments are posting from 4/9 to 4/15, perhaps that's it?
    Stimulus checks have not gone out yet. What they are likely getting is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smcREJKOl-4

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Stimulus checks have not gone out yet. What they are likely getting is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smcREJKOl-4
    Interesting. So the deposit wouldn't necessarily look like it came from the IRS but from somewhere else then. I can see that causing confusion.

View Post
    Help
    Her online account should give details about what it is and where it came from.

Did you ask?

You haven't given the amount for even a guess.

Sigh.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    But not after 90 days.
    What's your basis for that? We don't yet know in what state this is taking place, and that matters since it is primarily state law that governs this and not all states are the same.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    What's your basis for that? We don't yet know in what state this is taking place, and that matters since it is primarily state law that governs this and not all states are the same.
    It is not my basis. It is a basis from another attorney.

I did not give the OP state specific advice, rather general advice that may apply to his/her state. Besides, this is banking law which I assume is mainly Federal. However, I get my information from a sharp attorney who gives his full name (Steve Lehto), his state, and he looks into a camera and speaks extemporaneously from his knowledge and experience as an attorney. Much, much more than what we get here.

He speaks on an issue resembling the OP's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGuzc3rioM

Feel free to challenge what he says. I'd love to hear a sound rebuttal...and not the picking of low hanging fruit like the OP was not owed the money because that is easily argued.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast