Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Car at Mechanic Shop for 6+ Months.is It Safe to Drop Insurance

My question involves insurance law for the state of: CA

One of my cars has been in the mechanic's shop for over 6 months now. I've been paying liability-only insurance on it the whole time.

I'm just concerned the mechanics move the car around in their parking lot or drive it around the block and either injury someone or hit and damage another car in their lot while moving it.

I don't want to get in trouble if I drop my insurance for it.

Are my worries legitimate or can I go ahead and drop the insurance?

If you are curious
    https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245287

Default Re: Car at Mechanic Shop for 6+ Months.is It Safe to Drop Insurance

The state will be notified and your registration may be canceled.

I'm just concerned the mechanics move the car around in their parking lot or drive it around the block and either injury someone or hit and damage another car in their lot while moving it.
    Exactly why you should keep the liability insurance on the car. Accident victims will come after you (guaranteed) as the owner of the car.

Four months ago you were told to get your car and take it elsewhere. Why haven't you done that?

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Exactly why you should keep the liability insurance on the car. Accident victims will come after you (guaranteed) as the owner of the car.
    You are saying that professional auto body shops do not have their own policy for cars they test drive? That they typically use the owner's policy? I doubt that very much, much like a contractor cannot damage a house or injure a person in a house and bill it to the HO policy.

As for registration being cancelled, all you'd have to do is fill out a non-op form.

...More doom and gloom posts!

Insurance protects the owner including defending the owner if he gets sued. Even if the owner is not actually at fault.

That said what makes you think the mechanic, in this case, is associated with a "professional auto body shop?"

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You are saying that professional auto body shops do not have their own policy for cars they test drive? That they typically use the owner's policy? I doubt that very much, much like a contractor cannot damage a house or injure a person in a house and bill it to the HO policy.

As for registration being cancelled, all you'd have to do is fill out a non-op form.

...More doom and gloom posts!
    Several reasons:

1) I'll have to spend hours calling shops that work on this type of car--late 70s mercedes diesel and I don't even know if they'll be able to resolve the issue.

2) I've already paid the mechanic $450 for this job. It's difficult for me to just go there and take the car away in what seems as worse condition than I brought it in.

3) I don't know how I am going to prove in small claims court that there is still an issue with the car. Maybe I can take video of the car, but I'm not even sure if the judge will allow videol. Last time I went to small claims court which was around 2009-2010, the judge wouldn't accept my video evidence.

4) I have a speech impairment, which makes this process even harder. Judge isn't gonna want to wait extra time for me to get words out. I'd have to find out if I could write what I want to say or bring someone with me to speak for me. Also this lowers my credibility in general and my claims won't be taken as seriously--one minute I can speak perfectly then the next minute I can barely say a word--so it comes off like I'm lying or playing some game. It also lowers my credible in other ways...simply because people erroneously associate it with being inept. I'm pretty sure this is a major reason why the mechanic has the nerve to do this, because he knows I'm less inclined to pursue small claims.

I still might do it eventually, but I haven't reached that point yet.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Insurance protects the owner including defending the owner if he gets sued. Even if the owner is not actually at fault.

That said what makes you think the mechanic, in this case, is associated with a "professional auto body shop?"
    OK, then I will amend all three comments:

If it is a real auto body shop, they will have their own insurance.

If it is a real auto body shop and they wreck your car or injure someone, the car owner's insurance will not pay anyway.

If you non-op the car and temporarily suspend the insurance policy, the DMV will not suspend the registration.

If it is a hokey, non-professional, back-yard mechanic, keep your insurance.

If you are worried about being sued for something you are not liable for, keep your insurance.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You are saying that professional auto body shops do not have their own policy for cars they test drive?
    You either have a reading comprehension problem or just a screw loose.

Go back over what I wrote and show me where I said that.

smh.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You either have a reading comprehension problem or just a screw loose.

Go back over what I wrote and show me where I said that.

smh.
    FYI, a sentence that ends with one of these ( ? ) means it is a question, not a statement.

Instead of asking "when did I say that" you should ask "when did I infer that?" Answer: Post #3.

And, as you left out, an auto body shop will have their own insurance if they wreck your car. An ex-claims adjuster should know that...but you seem to enjoy scaring people.

You would have no liability for an accident caused by the mechanic while the car is in the possession and custody of the mechanic. Nor would your insurance be "cancelled" if you drop your policy.

The only reason to maintain your policy is that, in the event of an accident (unlikely) that results in someone suing you (unlikely), your liability insurer would provide a lawyer to defend you (or tender your defense to the mechanic's liability carrier).

It's up to you to weigh those risks against the cost of maintaining the insurance for however much longer it will take for your car to be fixed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast