Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Parking in Turnouts on Two Lane Roads

Quote Quoting Jim Kozlovich
    View Post
    I need clarification. For purposes of this discussion, which of these are you people considering a "Turnout"?
    CA-41 or CA-46
    You'll have to ask the OP. But, I'm guessing something like the CA 41 link since your CA 46 link doesn't appear to have a "Turnout" sign I can see. But, the CA 41 link seems to hold an image of a turnout sign followed by the delineation of the shoulder of the road. Not like the turnouts I often see.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post

In general, a "turnout" is to be used only to allow vehicles to pass.
    Any reasonable person would call example CA-46 a 'turnout' regardless of signage. How would a big rig use that to allow vehicles behind him to pass?

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Any reasonable person would call example CA-46 a 'turnout' regardless of signage. How would a big rig use that to allow vehicles behind him to pass?
    Call it what you will, but as I said, the word "turnout" is mentioned only twice in the CVC and in only one section. The delineation in the CA-46 link would be more properly defined as a shoulder - which also lacks a clear definition in the CVC. So, absent additional restricting signage, you might be able to pull to the side and even park there.

EDIT: Forgot the big rig part. The answer to that would likely be that the big rig would not be permitted to pull off the road onto the shoulder to permit anyone to pass. They'd likely have to wait for either a divided lane, or, a proper turnout of sufficient length and breadth. Many turnouts I see in the country are short and not typically designed to facilitate big rigs.

Some of these issues are subjective, and almost all of them are CHP issues. How *I* might see them or choose to enforce them could be irrelevant, because turnouts and country roads/highways/freeways tend to be CHP enforcement issues and not for the municipal cops or deputies. I cannot say what their marching orders might be on such matters, and I do not come into contact with many CHP officers these days.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

I think the CA-46 one includes the gravel part beyond the road shoulder. There are certainly stuff on Route 20 with a similarly large, yet paved, area and signs that tell slower traffic to use the turn out.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I think the CA-46 one includes the gravel part beyond the road shoulder. There are certainly stuff on Route 20 with a similarly large, yet paved, area and signs that tell slower traffic to use the turn out.
    Driving OFF the road adds a whole different set of potential legal issues to the mix. Since it is not marked as a "turnout", and it does not appear to specifically prohibit parking, if it is public property it can probably be used for yielding and even parking. A big rig might not want to use it, though ... you never know the nature of the soil off of the road.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

They were just examples someone ELSE posted in this thread. What if the one was a bigger PAVED one? In fact the one on SR20 shows trucks parked in it in the aerial (but not the street view). They do however seem to be far enough from the white line that another vehicle could use the turnout to allow people to pass.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    They were just examples someone ELSE posted in this thread. What if the one was a bigger PAVED one? In fact the one on SR20 shows trucks parked in it in the aerial (but not the street view). They do however seem to be far enough from the white line that another vehicle could use the turnout to allow people to pass.
    Whether one can lawfully parked off the road - paved or unpaved - depends upon the nature of the property (private or public) and any restrictions on use (signed or unsigned). In my town we have a number of open spaces that trucks use to park even though they are not supposed to. Enforcement is inconsistent since only a couple of those places are posted and the other require either a call from the property owner or Code Enforcement to get involved for violating ordinances.

So, the only real answer to the question about whether or not someone can park in a particular place adjacent to the main roadway is, "It depends ..."

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    CA-46 is NOT an example of a turnout. This is simply an unpaved (dirt) area for people to pull over and stop in order to check out the view. The turnout is in CA-41. The turnout is for the slower vehicle to pull into to allow the vehicles behind them to pass. The following link shows the sign about 100 feet before the "Turnout" sign in the CA-41 example.

Slower Traffic Use Turnouts Sign.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2