Default Unmarried Mothers Rights

My child’s father kicked me and my 15 year old daughter out of his home before our daughter was born. I was 7 1/2 months pregnant. His reason was he was advised by an attorney to put me out before our daughter was born or I would have legal cause to take his house from him. I would like to know if this is correct.

Default Re: Unmarried Mothers Rights

What state are you in?

Quote Quoting Amg0114
    View Post
    My child’s father kicked me and my 15 year old daughter out of his home before our daughter was born. I was 7 1/2 months pregnant. His reason was he was advised by an attorney to put me out before our daughter was born or I would have legal cause to take his house from him. I would like to know if this is correct.
    Were you married to the father at the time? Or were you unmarried and simply living together?

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Were you married to the father at the time? Or were you unmarried and simply living together?
    1 - The title of the thread is "Unmarried Mothers Rights."

2 - The phrase "My child's father" or "My child's mother" almost invariably denotes unmarried (or divorced). Otherwise there would be no reason not to refer to "My husband" or "My wife."

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    1 - The title of the thread is "Unmarried Mothers Rights."

2 - The phrase "My child's father" or "My child's mother" almost invariably denotes unmarried (or divorced). Otherwise there would be no reason not to refer to "My husband" or "My wife."

Ah, but you are assuming things that have not been stated. I asked whether she was married at the time. The reason for that is that the title of her thread only tells me that she was unmarried at some point, but not when. Was she single when she got kicked out? Or was she married at the time and then got divorced after? So far, we just don't know. Nor do we know how long ago this happened, either. You may turn out to be right, but I'd rather not rely on that assumption. It's better to be sure of the situation first.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Ah, but you are assuming things that have not been stated. I asked whether she was married at the time. The reason for that is that the title of her thread only tells me that she was unmarried at some point, but not when. Was she single when she got kicked out? Or was she married at the time and then got divorced after? So far, we just don't know. Nor do we know how long ago this happened, either. You may turn out to be right, but I'd rather not rely on that assumption. It's better to be sure of the situation first.
    We do, actually. Before the15yo child was born, while Mom was 7 1/2 mos pregnant. So ~15 years ago.

Quote Quoting jumanji
    View Post
    We do, actually. Before the15yo child was born, while Mom was 7 1/2 mos pregnant. So ~15 years ago.
    Actually I don't know. The way the post is worded, it's not clear if the 15 year-old she refers to is the child she was pregnant with at the time or whether at the time she got kicked out she had a 15 year-old daughter and was pregnant with another child. She starts out saying "My child’s father kicked me and my 15 year old daughter out of his home before our daughter was born." Read literally she refers to the 15 year-old as "my daughter" and says that she and that daughter were kicked out before "our daughter" was born. If the 15 year-old was the same child she was pregnant with at the time, why not use "our daughter" for her rather than "my daughter" like she did when referring to the child she was pregnant with? It makes it sound like there are two daughters here, not one.

If you are right and it did take place 15 years ago, then the next question is why is she asking about this now? It would almost certainly be far too late at this point to do anything about it.

Quote Quoting Amg0114
    View Post
    My child’s father kicked me and my 15 year old daughter out of his home before our daughter was born.
    Was this man's paternity ever established? If so, how was it established? In what state did the events you described occur?

Quote Quoting Amg0114
    View Post
    His reason was he was advised by an attorney to put me out before our daughter was born or I would have legal cause to take his house from him. I would like to know if this is correct.
    No. It's beyond absurd. One of the following must have been true: (1) the attorney who told him that was a moron; (2) he misinterpreted what the attorney told him; or (3) he intentionally sold you a load of BS (or some combination of the three).

Good point, TM - my bad.

1. Sponsored Links