Default How Much Jail Time Would I Get for Walking to a Friend's House in New York State

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

Let's say I did the forbidden and criminal act of taking a walk for non-essential reasons to visit a friend in the state of New York. What would happen if the police found out? How long would I get? In today's state of near-martial law that is. At least, according to some things I have heard, the police in New York are demanding to see written documentation of where people are going. And if it isn't essential, you could be arrested. At least, that's what I have heard from some friends of mine. I have found no information on this online, and I am not sure if this is accurate that they're really going the "your papers please" route in the state where I grew up and lived most of my life. That if I returned to my hometown, I'd now literally be arrested simply for being there because it's "non-essential travel". Granted, I think corona is serious, but if this is true that people are really being locked up or fined for simply taking a walk or even visiting a loved one, I think that it's an outrageous overreaction and breach of our constitutional rights. I realize that this disease is serious, and it is best if everyone follows social distancing and other measures to stop the spread. But locking people up for simply visiting their friends or simply taking a walk is a gross abuse of power in my opinion. But seriously, if they have placed these types of martial law-esque restrictions on people's lives and freedom to travel, how much time would I be looking at in the hypothetical scenario I described? I cannot even believe that I'm asking this question, because things have really gotten this bad.

Default Re: How Much Jail Time Would I Get for Walking to a Friend's House in New York State

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York
    But seriously, if they have placed these types of martial law-esque restrictions on people's lives and freedom to travel, how much time would I be looking at in the hypothetical scenario I described? I cannot even believe that I'm asking this question, because things have really gotten this bad.
    A lot of the public does not really understand the details of the stay in place orders that their states have issued. I see nothing in New York's orders that says that you cannot walk outside. What it says is that when outside you need to stay 6 feet from other people.

Default Re: How Much Jail Time Would I Get for Walking to a Friend's House in New York State

Posting hx, folks.

How Much Jail Time Would I Get for Walking to a Friend's House in New York State

None.

1. Sponsored Links