Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Shoplifting

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Nebraska I have shoplifted at Walmart plenty of times for mostly small items by not scanning everything when going through the self checkout, my question is I went to Walmart today and when I left and employee (a security guard I believe) took a picture of my plates, Iíve never been confronted or anything like that so what should I expect? Should I be worried? This scare is enough for me to never do it again but Iím scared the damage is done. PLEASE HELP!!

Default Re: Shoplifting

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Nebraska I have shoplifted at Walmart plenty of times for mostly small items by not scanning everything when going through the self checkout, my question is I went to Walmart today and when I left and employee (a security guard I believe) took a picture of my plates, I’ve never been confronted or anything like that so what should I expect? Should I be worried? This scare is enough for me to never do it again but I’m scared the damage is done. PLEASE HELP!!
    No one here can predict whether they will follow through by calling the cops on a thief. They should, but perhaps you're going to be a lucky thief. At least this time. Because every time you steal you increase your odds of getting caught. And increase your odds of having a criminal record. How much fun is that!!! Seriously. Grow up and stop being a thief.

Okay clearly Iíve made a mistake wether for the rush or because I was lacking funds, Iím asking for advice and even stated the scare enough will make me stop, everybody makes mistakes Iím going to learn my lesson either way. No need to be so rude and you grow up like youíre on a forum trashing people asking for advice

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    Okay clearly I’ve made a mistake wether for the rush or because I was lacking funds, I’m asking for advice and even stated the scare enough will make me stop, everybody makes mistakes I’m going to learn my lesson either way. No need to be so rude and you grow up like you’re on a forum trashing people asking for advice
    On top of the other advice you received, I suggest that you stay out of that Walmart for at least a year or two.

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    everybody makes mistakes
    But not everybody cheerfully chooses to be a criminal.

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    No need to be so rude
    Yes, there is. That's how we treat criminals. Rudely. We (as a society) treat criminals by rudely prosecuting them and rudely sending them to jail. And if I had caught the low life who burglarized my house some years ago I would have rudely put a bullet in him.

You've been given good advice. Grow up and stop stealing. Sweat it out and hope nothing comes of it. But if you get arrested just keep your mouth shut and hire a lawyer.

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    Okay clearly I’ve made a mistake wether for the rush or because I was lacking funds, I’m asking for advice and even stated the scare enough will make me stop, everybody makes mistakes I’m going to learn my lesson either way. No need to be so rude and you grow up like you’re on a forum trashing people asking for advice
    Dear child, a mistake is wearing one brown sock and one black sock. What you did was willfully steal. Let me guess -- you stole what? Makeup? Clothes? Because if you didn't have the funds for food you could go to a food pantry. So what did you steal that you couldn't have gotten legally without stealing?

And rude is stealing. Because with every item you stole you cause prices to go up for everyone. That, child, is rude. My answer was quite civil in light of your constant thievery.

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    Okay clearly I’ve made a mistake wether for the rush or because I was lacking funds,
    Forgetting to scan something left in your cart is one thing but for lack of funds is a willful theft. You will get what you deserve. You are not entitled to things because you can't pay for them.

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    You should be aware that there are about five to ten guys here who lay and wait for someone to admit they did something wrong so they can bash them. Talk about a childish, rude pastime.

As for your problem, there must have been a reason they did not approach you when you exited the store. You were likely observed on the camera but security was not close enough to you to stop you in the act. Or, Walmart has a specific policy on self-checkout "skipping" theft, as to not pursue it the same as blatant "in the pocket" theft. So, rather than physically dragging you back in the store, they just intimidated you with their hand-held camera.

This is not Walmart's first rodeo in regard to self-checkout theft. They know their chances of securing a conviction, and IMO, I believe it is very low. There are too many reasons/excuses a good lawyer could use to get you off. I'd imagine Walmart is tired of losing and being counter-sued for false arrest, so they let you off with a little scare tactic.

If they really wanted to pursue this they would have dragged you back into the store. Also, if you are going to be a thief, don't ever steal from an individual and don't do it in front of a camera.

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    Should I be worried?
    It's pretty unlikely that anything will come of it. However, it does suggest that that particular Walmart store might have pegged you for a shoplifter. If so, and you try the same thing on your next visit, that may be when they bust you. You might argue you forgot to scan an item once, but it's a lot harder if the store can point to a pattern of you failing to scan stuff. A pattern is great way to overcome the suggestion by the defense that it was a mere mistake. So I would recommend not going back to that particular store for awhile.

Keep in mind that each time you steal there is a chance you'll be caught. You haven't been so far, but if you keep it up there is the possibility each time that they'll bust you. So you have to really think about whether that risk is worth it to steal a few items that are probably not even worth a whole lot. While the actual sentence for a first time shoplifter may not be that severe, the other consequences of having a criminal record can make things tough. For example, a lot employers will not want to hire a convicted thief. And if you happen to live in one of the smaller towns in Nebraska, getting a reputation as a thief can make your life in that town a lot less pleasant.

Note that Walmart has video on every register in the place. They solved one crime by tracing a phone card activation to the Walmart where the supposedly anonymous perpetrator purchased it.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast