Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Shoplifting

I would stay out of any Wal-Marts in that general area. While I've been out of the game for a few years, they used to share Intel with other stores in their district as well as other retailers.
    I am the Mouse Man

Quote Quoting Babyg15
    View Post
    Okay clearly Iíve made a mistake wether for the rush or because I was lacking funds, Iím asking for advice and even stated the scare enough will make me stop, everybody makes mistakes Iím going to learn my lesson either way. No need to be so rude and you grow up like youíre on a forum trashing people asking for advice
    You decided to commit a crime over and over and over. That is Not a mistake. You have No Excuses.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    You decided to commit a crime over and over and over. That is Not a mistake. You have No Excuses.
    Oh, I beg to differ. If Walmart decided to press charges, his attorney would have lots of excuses. One being that Walmart chooses to have patrons operate registers with no formal training. Also, this is obviously an ongoing issue with Walmart, so they own the known defects in their process.

Are you pretending to be a lawyer or a minister, because they are miles apart? If a minister, you're posting on the wrong site. If a lawyer, you're dead wrong.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Oh, I beg to differ. If Walmart decided to press charges, his attorney would have lots of excuses. One being that Walmart chooses to have patrons operate registers with no formal training. Also, this is obviously an ongoing issue with Walmart, so they own the known defects in their process.
    Wow. Blame the company for you stealing. Why didn't anyone else think of this? Its genius.

Oh wait people have tried this before. A lot. And it never works.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post

Are you pretending to be a lawyer or a minister, because they are miles apart? If a minister, you're posting on the wrong site. If a lawyer, you're dead wrong.
    I am not pretending to be a.minister or a lawyer. If I were, nothing says ministers cannot post here. A law degree is not required to know the difference between a mistake and repeatedly making a conscious decision to break the law. Self checkout registers are no excuse for stealing, shoplifting, etc. Again, this was Not a mistake it was done deliberately over and over.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Brilliant! Pleading stupid! Who'da thunk it!

They'd have the OP on video and very likely clearly moving/palming/avoiding scanning/etc. the item(s) in question. I have seen these before and investigated them Unless the OP has thousands of dollars to spend on Clarence Darrow for a petty theft caper, their attorney is likely to either make token resistance, and then/or (most likely) seek a plea or diversion, if it is available.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Then why do you guys think Walmart did not pursue the OP? Because they routinely let shoplifters off?

I know. Claim you don't have enough information.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Then why do you guys think Walmart did not pursue the OP? Because they routinely let shoplifters off?

Per the OP they took a picture of their plates. Wal-Mart doesn't physically restrain people - at least, they are not supposed to. My guess, they were considering a call to the police for a report. Or, maybe nothing.

If the police get involved, the OP would be a fool to claim stupidity. Not the least of the reasoning is that to effectively make the claim they'd have to take the stand and their attorney would almost assuredly NOT allow that. But, it's more likely that if charges are filed a plea deal will be struck and diversion or fines and non-custodial penalties assigned. Hopefully this scare is enough to keep the OP from continuing their thieving ways. Experience - and a healthy dose of cynicism - tells me that as soon as the fear settles down, they will go back to their old ways. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post

We don't have enough information, but of course you never seem think there's a lack of information. We don't know how much evidence Walmart had of shoplifting or even if it suspected shoplifting. The only facts we have are that (1) the OP admitted shoplifting and (2) that the OP saw a Walmart employee photograph his car as he left. Anything else is speculation. Was the photo done because the store suspects shoplifting or was it something else? No way for anyone here to answer that with certainty. What evidence does the store have to prove shoplifting? We don't know that either. Maybe the store has enough for a good case, maybe not. No way to know. There are a lot of different situations that could be at work here, and we lack the information to know which of them it is. You are free to speculate what the situation is all you want; you may or may not be somewhere close on your guesses. You seem to like to fill in the gaps in these kinds of situations with various assumptions that fit your worldview. While that approach suits you, I prefer not to do that.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Per the OP they took a picture of their plates. Wal-Mart doesn't physically restrain people - at least, they are not supposed to. My guess, they were considering a call to the police for a report. Or, maybe nothing.

If the police get involved, the OP would be a fool to claim stupidity. Not the least of the reasoning is that to effectively make the claim they'd have to take the stand and their attorney would almost assuredly NOT allow that. But, it's more likely that if charges are filed a plea deal will be struck and diversion or fines and non-custodial penalties assigned. Hopefully this scare is enough to keep the OP from continuing their thieving ways. Experience - and a healthy dose of cynicism - tells me that as soon as the fear settles down, they will go back to their old ways. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
    How do you know that it is Walmart's policy to not lay hands on a customer who just stole from them? I strongly disagree with you.

True, a defense attorney might not allow his client to take the stand. But there are other ways to argue the fact that it is Walmart's choice to let untrained customers operate a machine that they never trained any customer to use. He can ask the Walmart manager that question when he is on the stand.

I am not saying that taking that tact is right or that it will win the case. I am saying a good lawyer will throw anything he can at Walmart hoping something will stick or discredit them...or sway the jury in any way.

I don't think any of you know what good trial lawyers do in a courtroom to get their clients off. Not even TM, because I do not think he is a 'trial lawyer'. And TM, FYI, not even a jury after sitting through an entire trial knows all the facts. Not even close. Not when lawyers from both sides are subduing as many opposing facts as they can.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast