Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When Does Summer Schedule Start

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

If school does not continue, when would summer schedule start in regards to if there is a schedule change in the parenting plan? Right now the parenting plan states, "Summer schedule will begin the week of the last day of school Mon-Wed or the week after if it falls on a Thursday or Friday", so does that mean that whenever the school year stops, regardless of the actual date?

Default Re: When Does Summer Schedule Start

That's something you are either going to have to agree with the other parents on or get an interpretation. If your district is going back to school this year, I would suspect the revised closing date applies. If they've called off school, probably the date it would have ended should apply.

If the school year ends early, why not use the original calendar unless there are health safety reasons to either transition early or not at all.

One parent is interpreting literally as it says, the last day is the last day and nothing is noted as scheduled. One parent is interpreting as scheduled.

If there is a disagreement, who could they go to for an unbiased answer? Surely an attorney would generally side with whoever their client is. And generally mediation isn't there to make any rulings, only to get the parties together to discuss

The fact of the matter is, we are in an unforeseen and unforeseeable situation for which there are not going to be any precedents and no ruling case or statutory law on the subject.

You can always go back to court to get a ruling, but I promise you that the judge is going to be very unhappy with two adults who are unable to come to a reasonable compromise on this issue.

Quote Quoting spokanedriver
    View Post
    If school does not continue, when would summer schedule start in regards to if there is a schedule change in the parenting plan? Right now the parenting plan states, "Summer schedule will begin the week of the last day of school Mon-Wed or the week after if it falls on a Thursday or Friday", so does that mean that whenever the school year stops, regardless of the actual date?
    There's no law that is going to cover this unprecedented situation, and there is virtually no chance of getting a court to address this prior to the scheduled end of the school year, so you and your child's other parent will have to work this out between yourselves.

View Post
    If there is a disagreement, who could they go to for an unbiased answer?
    I don't understand this question. If the parents can't agree, they'll have to seek a court ruling. As mentioned above, that's not likely to happen before the scheduled school end date.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You can always go back to court to get a ruling, but I promise you that the judge is going to be very unhappy with two adults who are unable to come to a reasonable compromise on this issue.
    That's for damn sure. The parents need to behave like adults and work this out.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

The school year is not over in Washington state. In fact, the Governor has mandated that education continue through the public education system remotely by any means necessary. This makes your question superfluous.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Because there is discussion with the state education system that school, nearly surely, is going to be cancelled for the remainder of the year. Of course if this doesn't happen, then it wouldn't make a difference.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

View Post
    Because there is discussion with the state education system that school, nearly surely, is going to be cancelled for the remainder of the year. Of course if this doesn't happen, then it wouldn't make a difference.
    No, the school buildings are closed but the governor has required, as of last week, that school resume albeit through remote means (online, mailed packets, packets picked up at designated locations, etc.). I've been married to a WA state teacher and school administrator for 15 years and she and the rest of her team are working very hard at bootstrapping a system that meets the states equity requirements and is workable so as to meet this requirement.

I assure you, school has resumed.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I understand this in 2 ways

1. There is no point in worrying about something that may not happen.

2. To be prepared in the case this does happen. I understand there is no case law in either direction, and thank the posters for that info.

If this happens, and I understand your wife is saying it wont, then the parents will have to discuss. When we cannot agree, we will just have to play it out and take it as it is.

But let's look at the bright side, we have 2 parents who both love time with children and are willing to fight for it. In this day you often hear about deadbeat parents, at least this is contradictory to that

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast