Default White Collar Financial Crime Storyline Needed

My question involves criminal law for the state of: British Columbia, Canada (but any advice will be helpful and welcomed!)

I am writing a novel*and I'm looking for some suggestions from people who know the law (I know very little!). The novel is set in Vancouver, BC (Canada). The protagonist in the story is a partner in a firm that provides financial capital for commercial real estate, and he is facing indictment for embezzling money from his firm. I have a couple of issues that I need to work out with this character:*

1) How long can someone plausibly get away with this kind of activity before arousing suspicion and/or getting caught?

2) Is it plausible that someone could be facing these types of charges and still be able to remain within the community while awaiting indictment/trial?

3) What would be the official charge against someone engaging in this type of crime?

4) The protagonist will ultimately end up being convicted of the crime in this storyline and will go to jail. What I would like to know is how much jail time would he likely be facing?

5) What are some of the potential issues/problems with this storyline that I haven't foreseen?

I would be so grateful for any help, suggestions or ideas anyone could provide. I would be willing to attribute credit for such help when this novel is published. I really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer me. Thanks so much!

Default Re: White Collar Financial Crime Storyline Needed

1) How long can someone plausibly get away with this kind of activity before arousing suspicion and/or getting caught?

Months, years. Depends on his position in the company, how smart he is, how often audits are done.

2) Is it plausible that someone could be facing these types of charges and still be able to remain within the community while awaiting indictment/trial?
    Yes, it's called bail. Look it up.

3) What would be the official charge against someone engaging in this type of crime?
    A writer is also a researcher. You should be able to find that out by looking up your criminal laws.

4) The protagonist will ultimately end up being convicted of the crime in this storyline and will go to jail. What I would like to know is how much jail time would he likely be facing?
    That's also something easily researched.

5) What are some of the potential issues/problems with this storyline that I haven't foreseen?
    Those are things every writer has to figure out for himself.

I'm sure there are plenty of novels out there about embezzlement that will give you some ideas as to what excites a reader.

Can't vouch for Canada, but you can probably get what you want by doing a modicum of research on REAL financial crimes that have occurred. People like Bernie Madoff and the like.

In the US, if you've not been indicted, there's limits to how long you can be held in jail. For most white collar stuff, it's uncommon to be jailed at all pretrial.

Could be any number of things depending on what they did. Madoff, for example, pleaded guilty to securities fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud, money laundering, making false statements, perjury, theft from an employee benefit plan, and making false SEC filings. Madoff got 150 years.

I was involved in another case where a investment advisor ripped off several investors and copped to a single count of wire fraud. That was good for ten years (could have gotten 20).

I am also a novelist and while I do not object to assisting with research, I know nothing of financial law in Canada. I know very little of it even in the US.

Are you familiar with NaNoWriMo? It's an online writers community that's international. You might want to see what kind of resources they have.

https://www.nanowrimo.org

1. Depends on what EXACTLY is happening.

2. What does "remain within the community" mean?

3. Depends on what exactly is happening and the laws of the jurisdiction where it's happening.

4. Depends on the specific crime(s) for which he is convicted.

5. Impossible to predict.

Honestly, it sounds like you have only the vaguest idea what you want to write about. If your ideas are more developed than your post suggests, you could pay a criminal defense attorney to give you some input.

1. Sponsored Links