Default My Tax Refund Was Offset to California EDD

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: California
    I do not owe EDD and they confirmed that over the phone. I have a letter from IRS that they sent my tax refund to the EDD and according to EDD they have not received my money and I do not owe them anything. How can I deal with this

Default Re: My Tax Refund Was Offset to California EDD

Quote Quoting Mirtosha
    View Post
    I do not owe EDD and they confirmed that over the phone. I have a letter from IRS that they sent my tax refund to the EDD and according to EDD they have not received my money and I do not owe them anything. How can I deal with this
    You have to deal with EDD to either get the offset order lifted before the IRS does the offset (which likely won't happen fast enough) or get your money back. The EDD put in the order and the IRS has to do the offset unless the EDD releases the order. In short, the IRS is just the middleman here. Your issues are with the EDD. That said, if the offset will cause an immediate hardship to you, you can try asking the IRS taxpayer advocate to hold up the offset and have it help you with resolving the issues with EDD. You can use IRS Form 911 for that or contact your local taxpayer advocate. Faxing the 911 or calling the taxpayer advocate are the two fastest ways to get help. With the covid-19 shutdowns the Taxpayer Advocate Office is closed to in person visits until further notice. Even if you qualify for help with the advocate because you face an immediate hardship, you still want to work on the EDD because ultimately they have to tell the IRS to release the funds to you or give you your money back.

Default Re: My Tax Refund Was Offset to California EDD

Quote Quoting Mirtosha
    View Post

Did you ever owe EDD money? If so, how long ago did you pay them off?

1. Sponsored Links