Default Parking Tickets for Car with Expired Tags on Plates but Valid Registration

My question involves traffic tickets from the state of: Washington

Hi All,

New poster here with an unusual question I can't find a good answer to anywhere. Apologies if this belongs in the car registration section, and also for the wordy post, just trying to head off any questions and convey the info accurately.

I'm an Oregon resident who occasionally commutes from Portland to Seattle for work. I primarily work in OR and my residence is there. I renewed my registration in Oregon just before a work trip and got my registration receipt but the new registration card and tags (name for year sticker in Oregon, called tabs in Washington) were in the mail on the way to me (takes a couple weeks to show up in mail in Oregon). Before they arrived my current tags on my plates expired but I had renewed my registration, and the tags were in the mail to me.

After my tags expired, but before my new tags arrived I had to go to Seattle for work. On the way out of Oregon, OSP pulled me over for no tags. I showed them my registration receipt and they sent me on my way without a ticket or issue since my registration is good and they are aware tags don't come right away. Oregon DMV told me this may be the case and I was in full compliance with Oregon law and I would not be issued a ticket if pulled over.

When I got to Seattle however, I got multiple parking tickets while I was there for violation of SMC 11.71.145, expired tags. Text of the city code states: "No person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle on any street or alley, or in any garage, parking area or other property operated by the City unless a valid license plate or plates are attached and displayed thereon as required by RCW 46.16A.200 and Section 11.22.080."

When I got back to Oregon my new tags were waiting for me and I put them on.

Am I on the hook for these tickets? I'm planning to plead not guilty but I want to make sure I have a solid defense plan. Washington is telling me that valid plates means valid tabs (as they call them) and it doesn't matter if it was legal in Oregon with current registration. It seems like if the car is legal in the state it is registered in it would be fine to travel, no? My model of car had a different engine when sold new in California compared to Oregon, but I don't have to swap the OR engine to the CA compliant engine when I drive through CA to make it pass smog there. WA residents have darker tint than Oregon allows on their windows and pass through OR without issue. Isn't there some sort of federal right to pass through? We don't make Canadians change their speedometers to Imperial units when they visit the US by car. If not a federal right to pass through, is there at least some Washington law or Seattle code that says it's legal in WA as long as it's legal where it resides and is registered?

I can't seem to find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Parking Tickets for Car with Expired Tags on Plates but Valid Registration

Am I on the hook for these tickets?
    Yes.

Nothing unusual about it. We see it here all the time.

If it's not displayed on the car and the car is unattended, you get the ticket.

"...attached and displayed..." are the operative words. Your registration tabs were not "...attached and displayed..."

You can certainly take a shot at not guilty if it's convenient enough to go to court in Seattle and see how it goes. Understand, however, that parking fines are revenue and I wouldn't expect the court to budge.

Your comparison to an engine is just plain silly.

Another thing. The officer in Oregon said you wouldn't get a ticket if "pulled over" and that's what happened. I suspect that you would get parking tickets in Oregon as well if your car was parked with expired tabs (tags). Look up the statute if you like.

Default Re: Parking Tickets for Car with Expired Tags on Plates but Valid Registration

Thanks for the reply. I figured the "attached and displayed" would be what they would hang their hat on. I'm just surprised there isn't some way around this. I'm in full compliance with Oregon law where the car is registered and my tags were in the mail. DMV said this is a common thing in Oregon and nobody should be issued a ticket if the registration is good. The employee I spoke to also said it would show in the cops system the reg is good so I wouldn't get parking tickets if the cops "did their job right" (her words). Is there some WA or federal reciprocity law that I'm okay to pass through because I'm legal where I'm registered or do I just bring the registration to court and HOPE they see things my way?

I'm just surprised there isn't some way around this.
    There is.

You order your tags earlier next year so you get AND ATTACH the new ones before the old ones expire.

I'm in full compliance with Oregon law where the car is registered
    That's right. The Oregon violation is:

803.300 (1) A person commits the offense of failure to register a vehicle if the person owns a vehicle in this state and the person does not register the vehicle in this state.
    Your Oregon DMV employee has no business rendering an opinion as to the laws of other states.

Is there some WA or federal reciprocity law
    No.

I'm legal where I'm registered
    But you weren't legal in Washington where the law is "attach and display."

do I just bring the registration to court and HOPE they see things my way?
    Well, it would be foolish not to bring your registration if you were going plead not guilty, wouldn't it.

As I said before I wasn't in violation of Oregon law. Oregon MAILS the tags to you and mine hadn't arrived before I had to leave. I updated the title weeks before and wasn't allowed to update the registration dates until the new title was in my possession.I wasn't able to renew the tags at that time because it was too far in the future at the time I updated the title. Oregon doesn't allow the registration to be renewed that far ahead time so I had no other choices other than pick a better time to pay off my car and get a title without a lienholder. The day the title came I updated the registration so my new stickers would come as soon as possible. Oregon mails things to you and allows for people to not display their tags while they are on the way as long as they have valid registration. Otherwise everyone in Oregon would get tickets for this at some point. This takes weeks in the mail and the registration was renewed before the old registration was expired. The lag time was totally on the Oregon DMV end of things because the title had to come in the mail before renewing the registration and then the new tags had to come in the mail too. There was literally nothing I could have done at that point.

803.300 doesn't apply because my registration was renewed before the old one expired. I was never without a current and valid registration. I had the registration receipt that showed I renewed until the registration card came with the new tags.

When I was younger I got a window tint ticket in California. The judge threw it out because the state I lived in at the time allowed for darker tint than California did. The judge at that time mentioned something about a law that overpowered local laws about tint and I had a right to pass though with mine because I was legal in my home state.

I guess I'll just try my luck and hope they at least reduce the tickets if they won't let me go.

I appreciate the replies, this is just so frustrating because in this case there is literally nothing I could have done except maybe rent a car for work out of my own pocket or have waited to update my title after I paid the car off. Once I updated it though I was stuck. Seattle wrote 8 tickets in the 15 days I was there so the amount I owe is enough to be uncomfortable. They patrol the streets in Seattle like crazy.

I updated the title weeks before and wasn't allowed to update the registration dates until the new title was in my possession.
    What do you mean by "update" the title and why would you have to "update" a title that you already have?

803.300 doesn't apply because my registration was renewed before the old one expired. I was never without a current and valid registration. I had the registration receipt that showed I renewed until the registration card came with the new tags.
    That's what I'm saying. You're legal in Oregon, your not legal in Seattle.

When I was younger I got a window tint ticket in California. The judge threw it out because the state I lived in at the time allowed for darker tint than California did.
    But you still got the ticket because it's not the responsibility of the officer to figure out what's law in another state.

Seattle wrote 8 tickets in the 15 days I was there so the amount I owe is enough to be uncomfortable. They patrol the streets in Seattle like crazy.
    As I said earlier, it's revenue. And that's why the statute is written that way.

I guess I'll just try my luck and hope they at least reduce the tickets if they won't let me go.
    Come back and report after your hearing.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    What do you mean by "update" the title and why would you have to "update" a title that you already have?
    I paid the car off and got a new title issued without the lienholder for the car loan on it. That's why I couldn't renew the registration early because in Oregon they won't let you do that when you have a title issue showing in progress. The title took 5 weeks to process and you can't renew tags until 60 days before they expire so I couldn't do both at the same time. I got the title issued then I renewed the registration with 1 week to go before it expired (after the new title came) but it took 2 weeks to get the tags in the mail. By that time I was in Seattle for work so I put them on when I came back.

I'll report back after the hearing. They aren't scheduling anything right now due to the virus so it may be a while. In the meantime I appreciate anyone who responds with any ideas or information that might be useful here. I'll keep checking back. Thanks for the replies.

There's a thread on this site about traffic tickets in Washington. I haven't read it so I don't know if there is anything in there about parking tickets. Give it a look.

https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89115

1. Sponsored Links