Default Vehicle Towed Inside Hotel Lot

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Hello first post here hopefully I can get some help. Iím currently homeless and my registration has been expired for a year now. Iím driving it because my other car got totaled by a drunk driver and I was working on the one with expired tags. I got myself a room for a couple of nights since I started working and got some money. When I woke up my truck was gone and I was told by the hotel lobby that sheriff's drove by and saw my expired tags.. first of all isnít the hotel parking lot private? Second there was no way the police couldnít seen my tags from the street the way I always parked. Anyways is it legal for them to take it from hotel parking lot? It happened in the city of Lomita ca thank you

Default Re: Vehicle Towed Inside Hotel Lot

Are you sure the vehicle was towed by the Sheriff's Department? Have you called the local Sheriff's station to verify this?

You will also have to find out the authority (Vehicle Code section) used to justify the tow. The Sheriff's office should have it as will the tow company - it will be on the CHP-180 form that had to have been completed for the tow (if it was done bylaw enforcement).

Whether they could tow the vehicle or not depends on WHY they towed it. You're assuming that it was because it was expired for over a year. It may also have been for some other reason.

As for it being towed from the parking lot, that may depend on the nature of the lot. Is there signage there limiting parking to customers only? Do you have to pay a fee to park in the lot? Is it shared by any other retail or commercial space(s)?

When you call the Sheriff's Department, and they confirm they towed the car, you can request a post-storage hearing. They are supposed to provide you with a hearing within 48 (business) hours - 2 days. At that hearing you can bring up the fact that you were parked on private property and *IF* the impound was based upon VC 22651(o) (for the expired reg.) and the property did not meet the definition of an "offstreet parking facility" they will be obligated to release the hold on the vehicle and eat the costs. However, because of the registration issue, you would still not be permitted to retrieve the vehicle unless you had it towed or obtain a temporary operating permit since it has been expired for a year. So, even if you prevail at the post-storage hearing, you're not getting the car back anytime soon.

Sorry, but your options are a selection of sour ones.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thank you for replying as a matter of fact I received those forms today along with a “notice of stored vehicle code 22852 cvc” under reason for tow it states “586” and no where on the CHP 180 says anything about expired registration and the parking lot is for resident only.

Quote Quoting VazquezR3
    View Post
    Thank you for replying as a matter of fact I received those forms today along with a “notice of stored vehicle code 22852 cvc” under reason for tow it states “586” and no where on the CHP 180 says anything about expired registration and the parking lot is for resident only.
    Okay, those are your rights regarding the storage/impound and the post storage hearing.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=22852

On the CHP form, in the middle section, it will have an area just after the space for the "TOWING/STORAGE CONCERN" labeled "STORAGE AUTHORITY/REASON" - that should have the CVC section for the impound.

And in which box is this "586" listed? It's not a Vehicle Code section, so it may be a local municipal or county code. But, it's important to know precisely where it is.

Also, at the bottom of the page there are some lines indicating a place for notes. Does it say anything there?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links