Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can I Get Compensation for Water Damage from New Refrigerator

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida

Only six months old, a Frigidaire started a slow leak that ruined my laminate flooring.

I had Leak Detection of America's come in and verify source of leak.

Default Re: Can I Get Compensation for Water Damage from New Refrigerator

What was the source of the leak?

If it came from the inner workings of the refrigerator you make the claim with the manufacturer for a product defect.

If it came from the water line behind the refrigerator it could be an improper connection and you would make the claim with the installer.

If it's something else you make the claim with whoever is responsible.

Did you try filing a claim on your homeowners insurance?

Source of leak is internal to refrigerator, solenoid part. Did not make homeowner insurance claim, most do not cover slow leaks. Do I need a lawyer to make a claim to appliance company?

Quote Quoting ruttrow
    View Post
    Source of leak is internal to refrigerator, solenoid part. Did not make homeowner insurance claim, most do not cover slow leaks. Do I need a lawyer to make a claim to appliance company?
    Is the damage costly enough to justify hiring an attorney?

Quote Quoting ruttrow
    View Post
    Source of leak is internal to refrigerator, solenoid part. Did not make homeowner insurance claim, most do not cover slow leaks.
    True.

Quote Quoting ruttrow
    View Post
    Do I need a lawyer to make a claim to appliance company?
    Not necessarily.

But instead of the usual customer service phone number, look up the corporate headquarters main number and ask for the department that handles "product defect property damage claims." Use those words.

Not sure, maybe not. $3000 for flooring, first plumber $295, then $300 leak detection service a few weeks later. The plumber was supposed to do a quality leak detection. He cut a square in the wall behind fridge to look at plumbing. He couldn't tell where the leak was originated from, probably because it was slow. He thought our house cleaner spilled water on floor. LOL. I replaced the floor boards with extras I had. Three weeks later the area is ruined. Water flowed again at slightly faster rate. This time I could see the flow stains, starting from under fridge, over to the wall near living room flooring. Took lots of pictures.

Quote Quoting ruttrow
    View Post
    Not sure, maybe not. $3000 for flooring, first plumber $295, then $300 leak detection service a few weeks later. The plumber was supposed to do a quality leak detection. He cut a square in the wall behind fridge to look at plumbing. He couldn't tell where the leak was originated from, probably because it was slow. He thought our house cleaner spilled water on floor. LOL. I replaced the floor boards with extras I had. Three weeks later the area is ruined. Water flowed again at slightly faster rate. This time I could see the flow stains, starting from under fridge, over to the wall near living room flooring. Took lots of pictures.
    Are you saying that you have wood/hardwood flooring in a kitchen? Good luck getting them to pay to replace that.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Are you saying that you have wood/hardwood flooring in a kitchen? Good luck getting them to pay to replace that.
    It's becoming more common to put laminate flooring in wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms as newer stuff is water resistant and it will survive if you clean up spills immediately, but as OP discovered it's not water proof. Personally I'm old school and go with tile.

Sorry was not clear, kitchen is tile floor, living room is laminate. The wall behind fridge is where water leaked into living room.

Frigidaire came out and repaired it. The ice maker water line was loose. Connected to a valve inside the back bottom area, it was not attached correctly or came loose. Waiting on leak detection report, going to send a few faxes to their corporate contacts, asking them to pay for flooring.

4111 Snyder Avenue, Charlotte, North Carolina(NC)

Quote Quoting ruttrow
    View Post
    Sorry was not clear, kitchen is tile floor, living room is laminate. The wall behind fridge is where water leaked into living room.

Frigidaire came out and repaired it. The ice maker water line was loose. Connected to a valve inside the back bottom area, it was not attached correctly or came loose. Waiting on leak detection report, going to send a few faxes to their corporate contacts, asking them to pay for flooring.
    I've had to buy water and ice for the last couple weeks because of this ... that isn't the issue as much as having a refrigerator blocking a walkway ... i've written sarah labbe from that contact list before writing in this forum and have yet to receive a response from her, as well. will use twitter/facebook now. appreciate any other suggestions.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast