Default Car Dealer Disclosed Incorrect Mileage in Ads and on Statement

I am in the process of buying a used Tesla from a dealership in Utah. I live in Washington and was planning to buy the car aight unseen, having the dealer ship the vehicle to me after closing on the sale. After applying better judgement and deciding to visit the dealer to see the car, I discovered some undisclosed damage which the dealer agreed to fix (in the contract I signed) before shipping.

I completed this visit and signed all purchasing and financing paperwork approximately 2 weeks ago, and the dealer is still dragging their feet on making the repairs and shipping the car. Today when I called, the sales guy told me that the cars mileage is approximately 200 miles above what was listed on the disclosure statement I signed.

The dealer has been sketchy throughout the process, and I certainly donít feel comfortable doing business with them. Do I have any options to back out of the sale or pursue legal options? The discrepancy in mileage is small but still dishonest. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Car Dealer Disclosed Incorrect Mileage in Ads and on Statement

Quote Quoting BenSarasota
    View Post
    Today when I called, the sales guy told me that the cars mileage is approximately 200 miles above what was listed on the disclosure statement I signed.
    Today? You mean you didn't check the odometer when you went to inspect the car? Yikes.

View Post
    Do I have any options to back out of the sale or pursue legal options?
    Did you make a down payment?

If you did, you're going to have a problem unwinding the deal since the dealer has your money and your signature on a contract.

The mileage discrepancy is likely to be viewed by a court as harmless error or rule that you had the opportunity to check it and didn't.

However, failure to do the repairs and deliver the car in a reasonable amount of time could allow you to rescind the purchase. I'm guessing you didn't put a deadline for delivery in the contract. If not, "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder and the dealer could shine you on for another couple of weeks. If that happens, I suggest you have a lawyer deal with the dealer if you want to cancel the purchase.

No one who hasn't reviewed all of the relevant documents -- especially anything you've signed -- can intelligently assess your options.

I did check when I was at the dealership- the mileage was correct at the signing. Between then and the almost two weeks the mileage on the car has increased. I made a $4000 down payment by check, which hasnít been cashed yet. Any thoughts? Thank you!

View Post
    I did check when I was at the dealership- the mileage was correct at the signing. Between then and the almost two weeks the mileage on the car has increased.
    Then somebody at the dealership has been using your car for 200 miles. I'd certainly want an explanation.

View Post
    I made a $4000 down payment by check, which hasn’t been cashed yet. Any thoughts? Thank you!
    You could stop payment on the check and immediately notify the dealer by phone and in writing that you've cancelled the purchase.

From now on buy locally where you can thoroughly inspect the car, check all the details and take delivery the day you write the check.

Buying long distance is just asking for trouble.

1. Sponsored Links