Default Stuck Overseas - Avoid Losing Permanent Residency

My wife is stuck in Venezuela - Airports are shut, no flights in and out - People allowed out a few hours daily to buy essentials. It looks like she will not be able to get out of the country and will wind up staying there over six months.. She does not have the guts to walk into Columbia illegally - the crossing is very dangerous. Contacted the U.S. Embassy in Columbia. Cannot help. What can I do to make sure she does not loose her permanent residency, and to insure her return to the U.S. without problems when she is finally able to do it?

Default Re: Stuck Overseas - Avoid Losing Permanent Residency

Quote Quoting nyJoey
    View Post
    What can I do to make sure she does not loose her permanent residency, and to insure her return to the U.S. without problems when she is finally able to do it?
    Talk to an immigration attorney or the USCIS about what might happen in the distant future.

As for right now, how about her getting to Caracas and catching an ocean liner, or chartering a plane, to Puerto Rico?

No joke. I'm looking at the map. That gets her into a US territory if it can be done.

Cannot travel within the country... National Guards blocking all travel... and even if she could, she doesn't have the guts to do it - too dangerous. All borders are shut... she's about 300 km west of Caracas, and safest where she is... I will try USCIS and hopefully they don't put me on hold for a couple of hours... Thanks.

She needs to get a reentry permit. I'm surprised the embassy wasn't willing to help her but you can try with the State directly.

Thanks flyingron.. The embassy in Caracas has been closed... our borders with Venezuela are closed.. which means no flights back and forth.. and now everything is shut off even to other countries... my wife reached out to the embassy in Bogota, Columbia... They said they're not operating fully right now because of the virus and recommended to have me contact USCIS... I did that just now... USCIS cannot issue a reentry permit, she must apply for it, I cannot apply on her behalf, plus she must be in the U.S. when she applies, not abroad... Anyway, the solution now, per USCIS, is they documented my call as to the situation, and she must amass all types of evidence possible to support why she was not able to leave on time, ie. articles, prints, etc... most likely, she would have no problem when she comes back based on "Humanitarian Special Situations", and they referred me to the website to get more info, but she should compile some evidence just in case. The webpage is "www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/special-situation".

1. Sponsored Links