Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default In the Age of Coronavirus when is "High School Graduation"

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Virginia

My son is 18 and in 12th grade. I pay to my ex monthly child support. School has been suspended for over a week now through April 10 and conceivably in a few weeks the school district could declare the 2019-20 school year over. Virginia law states that child support is owed until 1) the child turns 18 and has graduated from high school, 2) the child is 18 and finishes high school, or 3) the child turns 19. The scheduled graduation date is June 10. Supposed that the school district declared the school year finished on a date before June 10, would I owe child support to my ex for the time between the newly declared last day and the originally scheduled graduation date of June 10? Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: In the Age of Coronavirus when is "High School Graduation"

It's when the school issues him a diploma I would suspect. Stuff happens.

This is really petty! Would you be willing to pay support after June 10th if the school year is extended due to the need to meet a days of attendance requirement?

It is not like your child is going to be able to be self supporting immediately. Think of it as buying his food. These are extraordinary times. There is what is legally required and what is morally right.

Actually that never occurred to me. But I wonder if its when the diploma is earned, as opposed to when its awarded. Were the government to declare the year complete and give out grades based on the work done thus far Id conclude my son is graduated. (Id most definitely get the opinion of the school district.). Thanks!

Quote Quoting just.a.programmer
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Virginia

My son is 18 and in 12th grade. I pay to my ex monthly child support. School has been suspended for over a week now through April 10 and conceivably in a few weeks the school district could declare the 2019-20 school year over. Virginia law states that child support is owed until 1) the child turns 18 and has graduated from high school, 2) the child is 18 and finishes high school, or 3) the child turns 19. The scheduled graduation date is June 10. Supposed that the school district declared the school year finished on a date before June 10, would I owe child support to my ex for the time between the newly declared last day and the originally scheduled graduation date of June 10? Thanks in advance!!
    Really?? Seriously??

Your child support ends when your child graduates or reaches age 19.

If the school district were to decide that the remainder of the school year needs to be finished in summer school then Id pay child support through the end of summer school.

My son wont be able to support himself immediately after he graduates, and he has a place in my home if he so chooses for as long as he needs it. But I wont give him money for living expenses if he chooses to live with my ex. That money would essentially be used to subsidize my exs standard of living. I hope this helps...

The ceremony is unimportant. What is important is when the diploma is "issued." Contact the district for that date. Usually, it's a few days from the completion of classes that meet the graduation requirements.

Quote Quoting just.a.programmer
    View Post
    If the school district were to decide that the remainder of the school year needs to be finished in summer school then I’d pay child support through the end of summer school.

My son won’t be able to support himself immediately after he graduates, and he has a place in my home if he so chooses for as long as he needs it. But I won’t give him money for living expenses if he chooses to live with my ex. That money would essentially be used to subsidize my ex’s standard of living. I hope this helps...
    Love your child more than you hate your ex! Feeding a teenage boy is expensive! I suspect if he moved in with you, you would be losing money verses the support given to your son.

You are looking at a relatively short time so why worry about it. It would cost more to go to court to clarify the order than to just pay the support. It would also go a long way to NOT alienating your child to be cooperative at this time. Everyone is stressed right now. If it is your own financial situation that makes paying support a problem, have a frank discussion with both your child and your ex.

There's not going to be any June 10 date either. The Governor ordered the school year abandoned. You're going to have to consult your district (the state DOE has deferred to the local schools) as to what they are going to do about the remaining class requirements, requirements for graduation/advancement.

Fun fact: High school graduates typically don't receive their diplomas at the graduation ceremony. Many students don't get the diplomas -- and don't actually graduate -- until completion of summer school. Thus, while the date of the ceremony might be the "official" graduation date, it isn't because the ceremony is held on that date, and your question is moot.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast