Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: In the Age of Coronavirus when is "High School Graduation"

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Fun fact: High school graduates typically don't receive their diplomas at the graduation ceremony. Many students don't get the diplomas -- and don't actually graduate -- until completion of summer school. Thus, while the date of the ceremony might be the "official" graduation date, it isn't because the ceremony is held on that date, and your question is moot.
    Actually, every student who attended my graduation got their actual diploma at the ceremony. For a graduating class of 901 it was a pretty substantial effort to do. However, the diplomas had been "issued" about a week earlier. There was no obligation that you attend the ceremony to "graduate." But I agree, the ceremony (as I pointed out in prior posts) is meaningless.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Actually, every student who attended my graduation got their actual diploma at the ceremony. For a graduating class of 901 it was a pretty substantial effort to do. However, the diplomas had been "issued" about a week earlier. There was no obligation that you attend the ceremony to "graduate." But I agree, the ceremony (as I pointed out in prior posts) is meaningless.

I can understand. They didn't want to have the mail the stone tablets to you.

When I graduated HS I was handed the leather case and in it was a note that Cap & Gowns should be returned Monday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    The ceremony is unimportant. What is important is when the diploma is "issued." Contact the district for that date. Usually, it's a few days from the completion of classes that meet the graduation requirements.
    It's one thing if there's no interruption in the school year and one learns that diplomas are issued a few days early. It seems to me there'd be no basis for curtailing child support early. But if the district were to cancel distance learning (which is starting soon) and the diploma were also issued, then it would be a whole different matter.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Really?? Seriously??

Your child support ends when your child graduates or reaches age 19.
    When is graduation in the age of coronavirus? The day that the cancelled ceremony would have been held?

To me, an intriguing issue is knowing whether these coronavirus circumstances would actually change the day in which my legal obligation for child support is ended.

Quote Quoting just.a.programmer
    View Post
    It's one thing if there's no interruption in the school year and one learns that diplomas are issued a few days early. It seems to me there'd be no basis for curtailing child support early. But if the district were to cancel distance learning (which is starting soon) and the diploma were also issued, then it would be a whole different matter.
    Actually, people are running off on tangents that are immaterial again.

This is Virginia. The child support order, except in extremely rare cases, is SET by statute. The law doesn't say you owe it until GRADUATION. It says until the child is 19 or "while the child is a full-time high school student."
    Again, this boils down to what the district intends to do with the seniors. If they are going to claim that the diploma requirements have been met by what has transpired up until the schools closed (which I suspect is likely in most districts), then the support obligation would appear to end at the day classes stopped. If there is some "full time distance learning" involved, then one might argue the obligation continues until that completes.

Again, absent knowing what the individual district intends to do, we can't give an answer.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Actually, people are running off on tangents that are immaterial again.

This is Virginia. The child support order, except in extremely rare cases, is SET by statute. The law doesn't say you owe it until GRADUATION. It says until the child is 19 or "while the child is a full-time high school student."
    Again, this boils down to what the district intends to do with the seniors. If they are going to claim that the diploma requirements have been met by what has transpired up until the schools closed (which I suspect is likely in most districts), then the support obligation would appear to end at the day classes stopped. If there is some "full time distance learning" involved, then one might argue the obligation continues until that completes.

Again, absent knowing what the individual district intends to do, we can't give an answer.
    I'm probably guilty of the immaterial tangent thing...

My divorce decree specifically states "...child support shall be payable until such time as the Child reaches the age of eighteen (18), does, become married or is otherwise emancipated, unless sooner modified by a court of competent jurisdiction; provided, however, that in the event a Child has attained the age of eighteen (18) and is still a full time high school student residing with the [ex-spouse] then in that event child support shall continue until the child graduates from high school or reaches the age of nineteen (19), whichever event first occurs."

Also, curiously my spouse is a teacher in an adjacent district and she learned that her district will not issue any fourth quarter grades this year. If you're not working toward a grade that pertains to graduation are you still a full time student? The plot thickens...

Quote Quoting just.a.programmer
    View Post
    I'm probably guilty of the immaterial tangent thing...

My divorce decree specifically states "...child support shall be payable until such time as the Child reaches the age of eighteen (18), does, become married or is otherwise emancipated, unless sooner modified by a court of competent jurisdiction; provided, however, that in the event a Child has attained the age of eighteen (18) and is still a full time high school student residing with the [ex-spouse] then in that event child support shall continue until the child graduates from high school or reaches the age of nineteen (19), whichever event first occurs."

Also, curiously my spouse is a teacher in an adjacent district and she learned that her district will not issue any fourth quarter grades this year. If you're not working toward a grade that pertains to graduation are you still a full time student? The plot thickens...
    Again, you don't know when or if the school district is going to be graduating your child. It may be that the school district will require online classes or summer school in order for the seniors to be able to graduate. You need to NOT jump the gun.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2