Default Changing My Last Name to My Wife's Maiden Name

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Illinois

My Polish last name is absolutely unpronounceable for most people in the States. I am getting married to the American woman soon. Would like to know if I can change my last name to her maiden name. If so, when can it be done? She is divorced and planning to go back to her maiden name in the future.

Default Re: Changing My Last Name to My Wife's Maiden Name

It can be done any time you want but you'll have to go to court to do it.

She might have to as well. Does her divorce decree specify that she gets back her maiden name. If it does, that's her court order and she can use it to change her ID, Driver license, SS card, etc, etc.

If the divorce decree didn't address the name, she may have to get a court order to change it for any bureaucracy to accept it.

Here is some information about Illinois name change:

https://namechange.uslegal.com/name-...me-change-law/

Quote Quoting JMU61
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Illinois

My Polish last name is absolutely unpronounceable for most people in the States. I am getting married to the American woman soon. Would like to know if I can change my last name to her maiden name. If so, when can it be done? She is divorced and planning to go back to her maiden name in the future.
    You might not have to go to court for it. It is often possible to change your last name to the last name of your spouse during the marriage process. So if she has her maiden name at the time you get married you might be able to make the change in the marriage license without the need to go to court. Whether you can do that in Illinois, I don't know. But you might ask the clerk that gives out the marriage licenses for info about that.

Indeed, Illinois DOES allow either spouse to change their name upon marriage without any court intervention. You need to have the certified marriage certificate before you can do so. After your officiant signs your certificate, take it back to the clerk and they will provide you certified copies (I would suggest you get a half a dozen or so, you'll need to show and sometimes send a copy to or leave one with various offices: voter registration, DMV, Social Security, State Department, etc...).

You have a limited time after marriage to do this (I think its six months in Illinois). Otherwise, you'll need to go through the court name change process.

1. Sponsored Links