Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Being Banned

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    There is no express rule in the terms of service (TOS) that prohibits it. But the moderators might ban you for it anyway if they don't like it. I have no idea what their view is on banned persons coming back with a different screen name.
    That is a very concise answer but you know that this whole thread is a play on rule language. In that, we are not people posting here. We are fictitious screen names and not posting as responsibly individuals. Otherwise we would have to give our true names, right? Like when you are pulled over or in a courtroom.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    That is a very concise answer but you know that this whole thread is a play on rule language. In that, we are not people posting here. We are fictitious screen names and not posting as responsibly individuals. Otherwise we would have to give our true names, right? Like when you are pulled over or in a courtroom.
    People post here using screen names rather than their real names. But they are people just the same. The screen name is really not material. It is people who are subject to the TOS, not screen names. The screen names provide a degree anonymity, which is desirable for many online forums, but does not change that the screen name represents the person behind it. As Shakespeare stated so eloquently in Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II:

"What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
    By Any Other Name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title.”

In short, I think you are straining to make a difference where there is none. The TOS do not expressly prevent a person who was banned from the forum from returning using another screen name. As a technical matter than ban simply prevents the person from logging in using the one screen name. But the moderators could, should they choose, ban you by IP address or take other actions to prevent you from using this regardless of screen name.

View Post
    By Any Other Name would smell as sweet; So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title.”
    "Here under lies Pearl E. Gate,
    Changed her name in Probate.
    Now she's known as Pearl E. White,
    Flew to Heaven on a kite".

View Post
    People post here using screen names rather than their real names. But they are people just the same. The screen name is really not material. It is people who are subject to the TOS, not screen names. The screen names provide a degree anonymity, which is desirable for many online forums, but does not change that the screen name represents the person behind it. As Shakespeare stated so eloquently in Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II:

In short, I think you are straining to make a difference where there is none. The TOS do not expressly prevent a person who was banned from the forum from returning using another screen name. As a technical matter than ban simply prevents the person from logging in using the one screen name. But the moderators could, should they choose, ban you by IP address or take other actions to prevent you from using this regardless of screen name.
    I disagree. There is no legal or associative connection between you as a person or professional and 'Taxing Matters'. I could make whatever slanderous remarks toward TM or your business and you are immune to any harm. Therefore, your screen name is not you. However, if the public could make a definite connection between the two of you, then harm could be made...but they cannot. Also, if your full name is not in your email address, this website cannot make the connection either.

To say there is a person behind a post, well, show me the person.

Maybe we should be asking 'what is the definition of a person?' My very basic definition of a person is someone who can be seen, touched and identified. We have none of those qualities as we post here. Screen-name people are nothing more than etheric, anonymous thought patterns...using little tiny fingertips.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I disagree. There is no legal or associative connection between you as a person or professional and 'Taxing Matters'.
    Sure there is. For example, if I were to defame someone on a post using my screen name rather than my real name you don't seriously think that would give me a good defense in the defamation suit, do you? No matter which name I choose to make the defaming statement, I'm still the person who made it and would be liable for that.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I could make whatever slanderous remarks toward TM or your business and you are immune to any harm.
    That's not because there is no real person connected with the screen name. It would be that you have not caused my reputation any harm.

View Post

By Any Other Name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title.”

like button

View Post
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Sure there is. For example, if I were to defame someone on a post using my screen name rather than my real name you don't seriously think that would give me a good defense in the defamation suit, do you? No matter which name I choose to make the defaming statement, I'm still the person who made it and would be liable for that.
    You changed what I said. I said I can defame your screen name till the cows come home because you are not your screen name. Nor can anyone connect you to your screen name, so you as a person are insulated from defamation. I never said that I can falsely defame your real name via a screen name.

That's not because there is no real person connected with the screen name. It would be that you have not caused my reputation any harm.
    Again, I did not mean to say a person is not behind a screen name. A person is behind it. However, a person must be first indentifed by name in order for him to be defamed. No connection, no defamation. The reason there's no connection is because TM is not you. It is false ID, or an undiscoverable alias.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You changed what I said. I said I can defame your screen name till the cows come home because you are not your screen name. Nor can anyone connect you to your screen name, so you as a person are insulated from defamation. I never said that I can falsely defame your real name via a screen name.
    Of course I gave a different scenario to make my point. There is indeed a link between the screen name and the person behind it.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Again, I did not mean to say a person is not behind a screen name. A person is behind it.
    Well, that's progress. What you said earlier is:

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    There is no legal or associative connection between you as a person or professional and 'Taxing Matters'.
    And my example proves that there is. I cannot defame someone using my screen and avoid liability for that because there is in fact an associative connection between me and my screen name. I would be the one sued for that, not my screen name. You are being very selective in your example to try to say there is no connection, but it takes just the one example I've made to show that there is a connection.

View Post
    Of course I gave a different scenario to make my point. There is indeed a link between the screen name and the person behind it.

Well, that's progress. What you said earlier is:

And my example proves that there is. I cannot defame someone using my screen and avoid liability for that because there is in fact an associative connection between me and my screen name. I would be the one sued for that, not my screen name. You are being very selective in your example to try to say there is no connection, but it takes just the one example I've made to show that there is a connection.
    There are likely billions of false and slanderous comments on U-Tube and posts written on forums by anonymous screen names every day. To say something is possible is not impressive. When has real harm been done to someone using those platforms and when has an anonymous person been tracked down and held liable? There should be thousands of examples. Got a couple?

Note: I don't tweet so I don't know for certain, but I think tweeting, texting, email, billboards and ads are not anonymously written so they do not count. I am referring to what we do here where comments come from the ether world. Specifically: If someone here goes off on Kim Kardashian. Would she prevail in showing damages and winning in a slander suit against one of us? If so, show me when that has happened in a similar, truly anonymous platform?

https://www.rcfp.org/journals/the-ne...tions-defamat/

And this link is OLD. I'm sure there are ones with more up to date info but there were already successful cases in 2001.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast