Default Office of Inspector General

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Indiana

I received a letter stating that the office of the inspector general has opened an investigation into allegations that resulted in my termination from a state agency, to determine if I committed a crime or ethics violation. How worried do I need to be? Should be retaining an attorney?

Default Re: Office of Inspector General

So you've already been terminated? What was the reason given? They obviously found enough to terminate you and are now looking at whether charges can be filed.

A lot is going to depend on the details as to how worried you should be. Yes, I'd at least pass any details by an attorney since it could become a criminal matter.

Yes, I was terminated. The reason given was that they believed that I had falsified time and travel records. I did not. They fired me during a renovation of our building that caused a lot of issues in my team. I am confident that I have many valid and relevant details to present to the agent interviewing me that will help to explain why, although my agency made the decision to terminate me, I did not commit a crime or ethics violation. I am generally a very honest person and would be willing to face consequences had I done what they alleged. It is also relevant to mention that any damages that could even been derived from the information my agency put forth as evidence to terminate me would be extremely minimal.

If the OIG contacts you regarding an interview, do not go without an attorney. If they want to do it by phone, you should do it in your attorney's office on speakerphone.
    I am the Mouse Man

Quote Quoting Autumn87
    View Post
    I am confident that I have many valid and relevant details to present to the agent interviewing me that will help to explain why,
    That would be an incredibly bad idea. Watch these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjCJ6Xqjg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FENubmZGj8

Those agents are experts at getting you to explain yourself right into prison.

Quote Quoting Autumn87
    View Post

It is also relevant to mention that any damages that could even been derived from the information my agency put forth as evidence to terminate me would be extremely minimal.
    Are you saying: "I didn't do it, but if I did do it, I didn't do it a lot."

That's something you DON'T say to investigators.

I have set up a meeting with an attorney for today, and no, thatís not what Iím saying; Iím saying that my employer fabricated information based on loosely pasted together suspicion, but that if you believe that fabrication, you believe there are damages.

1. Sponsored Links