Default Failed Break Feature

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: NY.

Good evening. Yesterday, my daughter drove off the lot in a new SUV. One of the features of the car is that it detects the distance between her car and the car ahead and is supposed to stop when it gets too close. While driving with her three daughters, 7,4 and 15 months, this feature failed to kick in and she hit the car in front of her.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, but enough physical damage was done to my daughter's car (hardly any visible damage to the other vehicle) that she will have to report it to her insurance company and pay a deductible for the repairs. Since this feature wasn't working does the dealership or the car company have any responsibility in paying for the repairs?

Thank you very much for your time.

Default Re: Failed Break Feature

Quote Quoting Mistic
    View Post
    Since this feature wasn't working does the dealership or the car company have any responsibility in paying for the repairs?
    I'm going with no.

It was her responsibility to control her vehicle and keep a safe distance. The only reason to hit the car in front of you is carelessness.

Default Re: Failed Break Feature

So your daughter bought a new SUV with this feature and before reading the manual about the feature, she decided to test how well it worked with her three children in the car?

From your description, we don't even know that the feature failed in doing what it was designed to do.

1. Sponsored Links