Default Can the Good Samartin Principle of Trying to Save Someone's Life by Housing Someone

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Iowa

So I have a female staying with me. She is middle-aged, homeless, with mild to major disabling conditions, such as major depression, Borderline personality-non violent except during her divorce with her ex... She was high on pot and alcohol. She also has a heart murmurs condition. She got charged with pot possession domestic abuse, in the last 2 years. Also 3 evictions, 1 as recently as 5 years ago. Also other charges in past all misdemeanors.

She is only working part-time at a $9.00 hr job about 12 hours weekly. I am violating my lease with federal public housing apartment rental. by letting her stay with me until she gets enough money to move out on her own with a good enough job. The one public shelter is full of about 15 sex offenders, drug addicts, and alcohol abusers and untreated mentally ill. She has been raped twice in the past and does not want to go there. They are overcrowded also.

Are there grounds for a legal argument that I am following The Good Samartin Principle of trying to save someone's life Housing someone homeless and there should not be a judgment against me for this due to the homelessness epidemic? I am breaking my lease with public housing apartment rental. Live in US,, IA

Default Re: Can the Good Samartin Principle of Trying to Save Someone's Life by Housing Someo

There is no general "good samaritan principle." There are some specific good samaritan statutes which provide liability shields for those acting in good faith in emergency situations. This is not one of those. You're not going to be protected against an eviction lawsuit.

Default Re: Can the Good Samartin Principle of Trying to Save Someone's Life by Housing Someo

I hear you....You care. But I have seen a case in California where some lady took a homeless couple in. She could not get them out ...they would not leave. Because after 30 days they had their personal belongings in her house. It got so bad the good caring woman who owned the house had to live in her car. The police could not kick them out because they stayed more than 30 days there. So she had to start the eviction process to get them out of their own home. Food for thought...

Quote Quoting careerswah
    View Post
    Are there grounds for a legal argument that I am following The Good Samartin Principle of trying to save someone's life Housing someone homeless and there should not be a judgment against me for this due to the homelessness epidemic? I am breaking my lease with public housing apartment rental. Live in US,, IA
    It's not "Samartin." The term is "good Samaritan." Samaritans are an ethnoreligious group, and the term derives from a parable in the New Testament. There are laws in the U.S. and other countries commonly referred to as "good Samaritan laws" that offer protection to folks who render aid to those who are or appear to be injured, in peril, etc. Those laws offer some measure of protection against tort lawsuits filed by the person in need or that person's heirs, successors, etc. That obviously has nothing to do with the situation you've described, and there is no law that would protect you from being evicted for violating your lease as you have admitted to.

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    I hear you....You care. But I have seen a case in California where some lady took a homeless couple in. She could not get them out ...they would not leave. Because after 30 days they had their personal belongings in her house. It got so bad the good caring woman who owned the house had to live in her car. The police could not kick them out because they stayed more than 30 days there. So she had to start the eviction process to get them out of their own home. Food for thought...
    This is a very good point. A person of this sort becomes a tenant or subtenant after a relatively short period of time, and that status can make for an awful living situation and require formal eviction proceedings. Mentally-ill drug addicts do not make good roomates.

1. Sponsored Links