Default What Are My Rights

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan.

Hello, Iím unsure how this all works, so Iím going to give it a go. Last year I moved into an apartment complex via Section 8 housing. Throughout the year, I never received an invoice and was told many times that I had an account that had enough to pay my rent and almost up to two years worth. So, I didnít find it an issue. Come this year, I signed a new lease and upon signing asked what my amount was for paying so I would have it all in correctly and such. They had told me I didnít need to pay until March. No problem. Except I got in the mail on the 21st, a past due notice. They didnít send it until the end of the month, and still to this day I have never received an invoice on how much I owe or how much rent is, or anything that I would think a resident would need to be in good standing rent wise. I went to them today and they say I have to pay Februaryís rent and they donít give invoices for under $700. I asked to still get them so I am sure to be on time and the woman shrugged it off as if she didnít care. Are landlords supposed to send invoices? I am not happy I now have more to pay as I wasnít sent the past due notice until the end of the month. Is their anything I can do? Iím confused and frustrated with all of this. Thanks ahead of time!

Default Re: What Are My Rights

Quote Quoting Completelyconfused
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan.

Hello, I’m unsure how this all works, so I’m going to give it a go. Last year I moved into an apartment complex via Section 8 housing. Throughout the year, I never received an invoice and was told many times that I had an account that had enough to pay my rent and almost up to two years worth. So, I didn’t find it an issue. Come this year, I signed a new lease and upon signing asked what my amount was for paying so I would have it all in correctly and such. They had told me I didn’t need to pay until March. No problem. Except I got in the mail on the 21st, a past due notice. They didn’t send it until the end of the month, and still to this day I have never received an invoice on how much I owe or how much rent is, or anything that I would think a resident would need to be in good standing rent wise. I went to them today and they say I have to pay February’s rent and they don’t give invoices for under $700. I asked to still get them so I am sure to be on time and the woman shrugged it off as if she didn’t care. Are landlords supposed to send invoices? I am not happy I now have more to pay as I wasn’t sent the past due notice until the end of the month. Is their anything I can do? I’m confused and frustrated with all of this. Thanks ahead of time!
    I don't know about your area, but I have never known landlords to ever send invoices. You are expected to know what your rent is and when to pay it.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I don't know about your area, but I have never known landlords to ever send invoices. You are expected to know what your rent is and when to pay it.
    like button

I have never ever in my 63 years on this earth, heard of a landlord giving rent invoices to tenants.

I agree with both of you but I've also never heard of Sec 8 paying 2 years in advance either.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I agree with both of you but I've also never heard of Sec 8 paying 2 years in advance either.
    hmmmmmm...

It wasn’t them paying in advance, it was moreso like an account that they put aside they said that had extra money in it from I’m guessing anything over the amount paid? I don’t know exactly. They always told me I had enough in there when I went to pay anything, so I didn’t have to pay. The invoice thing I’ve had at previous places of residence where they send out how much you owe and if you are behind and such. Late fee or what have you. I never got or get anything until something is past due.

And when I say they, I’m meaning the apartment complex, not Section 8. Sorry to confuse.

1. Sponsored Links