Default My Dad Died and I Want to Know if I Inherited Anything

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: California
    My Dad dies and my stepmother does not like me and won't tell me if I or my daughter inherited anything. I believe he had a trust. How do I find out?

Default Re: My Dad Died and I Want to Know if I Inherited Anything

One way to do it is to hire a probate attorney and file for probate yourself and ask to be appointed administrator. If you are, you would have the power to look for assets not titled jointly in your father's and step-mother's names as they would belong to your stepmother..

Quote Quoting msdisazter
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: California
    My Dad dies and my stepmother does not like me and won't tell me if I or my daughter inherited anything. I believe he had a trust. How do I find out?
    When did your dad die?

You can go to the probate court in the county where your dad lived and find out if probate was opened on his estate.

Quote Quoting msdisazter
    View Post
    You can check at the clerk's office at the court in the county where he lived at the time of his death to see if a probate case has been opened. If not, you're going to have a very hard time finding out anything. Formal probate need not be filed if the estate is worth less than $150k. Married couples often own their most significant assets as joint tenants with the right of survivorship or in accounts that have designated pay-on-death beneficiaries. In both such situations, the assets pass outside of the probate estate (and don't count toward the $150k threshold). Assets held in a trust also pass outside of probate.

Is it possible that your father had a trust of which you're a beneficiary and of which your stepmother is trustee? Sure; in the abstract, virtually anything is possible.

1. Sponsored Links