Default Is a University Liable if a Student Receiving Financial Aid is Lying About Income

My question involves education law in the State of: Ohio

I was told that if I quit my job to go full-time at my university, that I could fill out a special circumstances form in order to receive more financial aid. However, the head of the department decided that I would not be allowed to apply for special circumstances because I willingly left my job. They then went on to say that the department could not allow me to receive more money because I could get another job and not tell them. I know this is faulty logic but my question is, if I intentionally lie about my financial status (which I will not do) would that come back on the university? Would not the culpability be solely on the one committing the fraud?

At this point I do not have many options, but I am trying to build a case to show that the head of financial aid is out of line. Their decision will impact the larger adult-student population and I believe it is wrong to withhold the opportunity to receive more aid. I also think it is wrong to indirectly call a student a liar when there hasn't been any evidence to support such a claim.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Is a University Liable if a Student Receiving Financial Aid is Lying About Income

Quote Quoting treebeard36
    View Post
    I was told that if I quit my job to go full-time at my university, that I could fill out a special circumstances form in order to receive more financial aid.
    Told by whom? More financial aid that what?

View Post
    However, the head of the department decided that I would not be allowed to apply for special circumstances because I willingly left my job.
    It would incredibly uncommon for the head of a department to have any say in financial aid matters. Is this a "normal"/traditional university?

View Post
    if I intentionally lie about my financial status (which I will not do) would that come back on the university?
    Not really sure what "come back on the university" might mean. Please explain.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Is a University Liable if a Student Receiving Financial Aid is Lying About Income

It would incredibly uncommon for the head of a department to have any say in financial aid matters. Is this a "normal"/traditional university?
    It appears that, in the OP, that referenced head of department is the head of Financial Aid. Furthermore, I'd say that quitting your job willingly is hardly "special circumstances". I'd have to agree with the head of FA. Special circumstances is more along the line of a loss of parent of whom you are a dependent or something.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I was told by my financial aid contact (yes it is a traditional university). The head of financial aid was the one that stepped in after the process had been started.

My question is: would the government find the university at fault for providing govt. aid to a student, in good faith, who failed to notify the university of their change in employment after the fact.

My intention is to finish school without working so that wouldn't even be an issue, but the head of my FA department seems to think I am going to get the aid and turn around and get another job.

I do not trust the the head of FA at my school. They have a terrible reputation and I want to have a better understanding of how the system works so that I can plan my next move. If the school is liable for giving me access to govt. money in good faith, then I have zero options. If they aren't liable, I may have a case.

View Post
    I was told by my financial aid contact (yes it is a traditional university). The head of financial aid was the one that stepped in after the process had been started.

My question is: would the government find the university at fault for providing govt. aid to a student, in good faith, who failed to notify the university of their change in employment after the fact.

My intention is to finish school without working so that wouldn't even be an issue, but the head of my FA department seems to think I am going to get the aid and turn around and get another job.

I do not trust the the head of FA at my school. They have a terrible reputation and I want to have a better understanding of how the system works so that I can plan my next move. If the school is liable for giving me access to govt. money in good faith, then I have zero options. If they aren't liable, I may have a case.
    What you are describing is NOT 'special circumstance'. You want to quit your job. that's not special. The school and/or you can be held liable for this depending on the specifics. Also, you'd have to demonstrate that your specifics are actually 'special'.
    "They go up!"

Universities and colleges are not required by law to take a change in your income into consideration, but almost all do. But at many, a voluntary reduction in income to return to school would not be considered.

I worked 30 years in federal student aid, and have worked at a school where you would automatically be denied for a voluntary reduction in your income. If you change schools and then say you were let go or laid off, don't be surprised if you are asked to provide the results of your unemployment application. In general, going to college will prevent you from collecting unemployment, but you will be asked to verify EDD's decision.

Quote Quoting paddywakk
    View Post
    Universities and colleges are not required by law to take a change in your income into consideration, but almost all do. But at many, a voluntary reduction in income to return to school would not be considered.

I worked 30 years in federal student aid, and have worked at a school where you would automatically be denied for a voluntary reduction in your income. If you change schools and then say you were let go or laid off, don't be surprised if you are asked to provide the results of your unemployment application. In general, going to college will prevent you from collecting unemployment, but you will be asked to verify EDD's decision.

My FAA told me that the university would be on board with the loss of income regardless of circumstance. So, I was caught off guard when the head of the department said the opposite. I was hoping to find the actual policy regarding my situation as there were many financial aid nonprofits supporting my case. It looks like a losing battle, but I wanted to exhaust all of my options before conceding. Thank you for your response. It was helpful.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    What you are describing is NOT 'special circumstance'. You want to quit your job. that's not special. The school and/or you can be held liable for this depending on the specifics. Also, you'd have to demonstrate that your specifics are actually 'special'.

I get it. you aren't actually listening and just telling me what you think I need to hear. Please stop and consider being a better, more understanding person. You do not know me or what I am actually trying to do. I would appreciate it if you would stop being a broken record.

I get it. you aren't actually listening and just telling me what you think I need to hear. Please stop and consider being a better, more understanding person. You do not know me or what I am actually trying to do. I would appreciate it if you would stop being a broken record.
    I am, in fact, reading and not listening and nothing you've said changes any facts.

I have no need to be a more understanding person, I'm not here to make you feel better, I'm here to provide information. Information that isn't always appreciated due to it not being the desired answer.

You've made it entirely clear what you intend to do. Quit your job and claim it as a 'special circumstance'. nothing is special about quitting your job for whatever reason.

Many of us here sound like broken records because the OP continues to repeat themselves...like you.

You would hardly be the first to work your way through college or the first to quit and borrow more money (if you can get it) to better focus on your studies. But, as Mick Jagger sings: you can't always get what you want.
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links