Unhappy Rental Co Signer Wants Out

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Riverside California.
    My husband co signed a yearly lease for my daughter. she has 4 months on her lease. Doesn't pay it or a small portion. We have paid thousands this year. She has received 3 day pay or quit notices several times. She has a couple of kids and that is the reason we put the money. Not to mention she is destroying our credit. Now my husband is out of work. And we are in trouble. How do I remove my husband off the lease? If she messes up her life it will be her doing. I know we should not have signed the lease but we were thinking of our grandkids only. Our daughter treats us badly like a butler and maid. Threatens to move in with us...and we have told her that's not happening. We need help and appreciate any input how we cant approach the property management team removing my husband from lease in June. We are in our early 60s and we are so tired. We can't pay our mortgage and her rent. thank you for your help

Default Re: Rental Co Signer Wants Out

Did you really need to ask if there is a means of avoiding the responsibilities under the lease. Unfortunately the only way out is with the landlord's consent. Sorry for your financial straights.

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    My husband co signed a yearly lease for my daughter. she has 4 months on her lease. Doesn't pay it or a small portion.
    Out of curiosity, is your daughter also your husband's daughter?

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    Not to mention she is destroying our credit.
    How is she destroying your credit? By signing the lease, your husband presumably obligated himself to pay the rent. That obligation is his and his alone and has nothing to do with your credit. If your husband is failing to pay the rent as agreed, that's on him, not your daughter.

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    How do I remove my husband off the lease?
    You don't, and neither does he. The only way for your husband to be "removed" from the lease is for the landlord to agree to it. You can ask, but I don't think any sane landlord would do that.

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate all your answers. So even when the lease ends I he can not get off the lease?

Let me clarify a few things perhaps they might help. We live in our own home my husband and I. My husband put himself on my daughters lease because she did not qualify by herself. So she and her children would have a place to live. With the understanding my daughter would pay the rent. My husband wouldn't mind so much to help monthly but when she only saves 250 for the rent while she parties thats is just not right. Lesson learn parents trying to help adult kids I know in many ways is enabling. But it was with the best intentions for the kids. We never thought she would use us like this. When she doesn't pay the rent. He does because he takes the rental agreement serious. He just wants to finish the lease. But is he trapped for ever?

I hope he has a copy of the lease so he can read it and understand it.

He may be out from under it in four months when it expires and can refuse to sign another one, thus leaving your daughter to sink or swim.

But he has to read the lease to make sure of that.

Thank you I will have him read it carefully thank you for your suggestion. Yes she is his daughter also to answer the question earlier.

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    So even when the lease ends I he can not get off the lease?
    That depends. Who is listed as the tenant? Is it your husband or your daughter or both? If it's only your husband, then he can give notice to terminate the tenancy. If your husband is only a co-signer, then he may be able to terminate his guarantee by giving a similar notice. One would need to read the lease to know for sure.

Thank you. They both are on the lease.

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    They both are on the lease.
    "On the lease" could mean multiple things. One can be "on the lease" as a tenant, or one can be "on the lease" as a co-signer/guarantor. There's a big difference.

1. Sponsored Links