Default The DOR Released a Judgment Lien for Court Fees Several Years Ago and Now

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Oregon. About three years ago, the Department of Revenue released a judgment lien for court fines and fees and probation fees that i owed from a criminal action that i was charged with over 10 years ago. Now, all of a sudden, I am being sent collection letters from two different collection agencies for the same fines and fees. I thought since the DOR released the lien it was all over with and now I'm facing owing thousands of dollars that I thought was no longer owed. Is this legal?

Default Re: The DOR Released a Judgment Lien for Court Fees Several Years Ago and Now

Your question appears to place you in the same ilk as some that naively think that when a bank rights off a bad loan that it spontaneously acquits the debt.

I don't know what if any periods of limitations if any are applicable here and all we have is your statement that the judgment lien has been released. But even if so, the mere act of releasing a judgment lien does not in and of itself absolve or constitute a satisfaction of the judgment.

You would do well to seek professional advice.

Good luck

Default Re: The DOR Released a Judgment Lien for Court Fees Several Years Ago and Now

Quote Quoting latigo
    View Post
    Your question appears to place you in the same ilk as some that naively think that when a bank rights off a bad loan that it spontaneously acquits the debt.
    (Bolding added.) You wanted the word writes there.

Quote Quoting Chevelle1966
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Oregon. About three years ago, the Department of Revenue released a judgment lien for court fines and fees and probation fees that i owed from a criminal action that i was charged with over 10 years ago. Now, all of a sudden, I am being sent collection letters from two different collection agencies for the same fines and fees. I thought since the DOR released the lien it was all over with and now I'm facing owing thousands of dollars that I thought was no longer owed. Is this legal?
    The problem is that the release of the lien does not necessarily mean that the underlying judgment is no longer enforceable. Without more facts I can't tell you if the judgment is still good. As a starting point, though, I suggest you ask the DOR what it shows the current status is, how much it says you owe, if anything, and ask if these collection agencies are legitimate collectors for the state. Depending on the answer you get from the DOR, you may want to make your next step a visit to a lawyer to see what options you may have to deal with it.

1. Sponsored Links