Default Chances of Modifying Joint Custody to Sole Custody

My ex and I have been divorced for 9 years. We have joint legal custody and I have full physical custody. His visitation is every-other weekend and Wed. evenings. In the course of seven years, he owes me $31K in child support, which I am now recieving $23 a week until it's paid off (what a joke). But at least I have had his wages garnished for both child support and this $23. As for his visitation, he lives 6 miles away, is remarried and has 3 more kids. He saw my daughter 4 times in 2006, (her half-siblings b-day parties, which I brought her to, and one time that her brought her to the diner) and not once in 2007. He makes no legal decisions for her. We don't talk at all, and when we do, it is usually him yelling at me unless he wants something. He called me on Easter and asked to speak with our daughter, but she was at her best friends house. I told him I would give her the message. I urged her to call him, but she did not want to. I want sole legal custody, do I have a case? I live in Connecticut.

Default Re: Chances of Modifying Joint Custody to Sole Custody

You would need a serious change in circumstances.

That's the general rule and your state may have other requirements.

Nothing you have posted shows any change in circumstances.

what kind of change in circumstances? what for example? and I ask because there are many.

Child custody determinations are made based on their facts, on a case-by-case basis. We could throw out dozens of examples of significant changes in circumstance (e.g., the custodial parent goes to prison), but it is likely that all will be irrelevant to your situation.

1. Sponsored Links