Default Wages Not Being Paid According to Contract

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Arizona

My wife recently received a pay raise for obtaining an additional license that began on the first of the month. The contract that her employer gave her to sign said that her pay increase would begin on the first of the month, however their HR department was slow and she didn't receive the hard copy of the contract to sign until the 16th (after the first pay period). Does her employer owe her the increased wages for the first pay period of the month (as stated in the contract) or is she out of luck because she signed it after the first pay period? Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Wages Not Being Paid According to Contract

First, has she discussed this with her employer, specifically someone higher than HR? If not she should.

But if she didn't sign the agreement until the 16th then even if the agreement rose to the level of a contract it wasn't in force on the 1st.

There is no way for us to know if it even rose to the level of a contract.

She has talked to her supervisor who in turn talked to the CFO. They said that since the contract was signed after the first pay period, she will not be receiving the increased wages for that time frame (even though the contract states that her pay increase begins on the 1st of that month). She was originally told by HR that she would have the additional amount "owed" to her on the first pay period of the month added to her next pay period. My guess is that HR was misinformed and I am just making sure that my wife gets her proper wages.

Does the contract say February 1st or "the first pay period of the month?'

Quote Quoting HelpfulHusband
    View Post
    I am just making sure that my wife gets her proper wages.
    Suggest to your wife that she not make a stink about it lest she lose the raise and the job.

Whether the wage increase is contractually required to be retroactive to the first of the month depends on the exact wording of the agreement, and I mean the entire agreement, not just a sentence or two pulled out of context. We can't tell from here if it's actually a contract or not and if so, what the requirements are.

Sometimes, it makes sense to stand on your rights and demand what is yours, and other times it makes sense to accept that life isn't always fair and you don't always get everything you are due. Legally, this is your wife's battle and not yours, and we are talking about the difference between her old wage and her new wage for a maximum of two weeks. If SHE (not you) feels that this is the hill SHE (not you) wants to die on, then she needs to take the entire agreement to a local attorney for review. If SHE does not think so, then you need to back off and stay out of it.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Whether the wage increase is contractually required to be retroactive to the first of the month depends on the exact wording of the agreement, and I mean the entire agreement, not just a sentence or two pulled out of context. We can't tell from here if it's actually a contract or not and if so, what the requirements are.

Sometimes, it makes sense to stand on your rights and demand what is yours, and other times it makes sense to accept that life isn't always fair and you don't always get everything you are due. Legally, this is your wife's battle and not yours, and we are talking about the difference between her old wage and her new wage for a maximum of two weeks. If SHE (not you) feels that this is the hill SHE (not you) wants to die on, then she needs to take the entire agreement to a local attorney for review. If SHE does not think so, then you need to back off and stay out of it.
    I agree 100%. What is more important to your wife? The job with the promotion or the two weeks worth of potential raise?

1. Sponsored Links