Default Can I Get in Legal Trouble for Lying on Medical History Questionaire (Not Insurance)

My question involves malpractice in the state of: CA

I have an appointment with a healthcare professional next week.

They want me to fill out a medical history questionnaire as a new patient.

If I leave out a medical condition that I was diagnosed with almost a decade ago, can I get into legal trouble if they find out later?

Why? I want to leave out a particular medical condition that due to the way I have handled it almost always causes distraction to the appointment because they just go off about it and make me feel bad. It's emotionally draining. I have an aversion to see healthcare professionals because of the anticipated response, but I really want to go to this appointment and not have to worry about their judgment on this matter. The appointment is not about the medical condition.

I just don't want to be sued or something. I don't think it's possible, but I want to check here just in case.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Can I Get in Legal Trouble for Lying on Medical History Questionaire (Not Insuran

No, you cannot get into legal trouble by omitting medical details to your doctor. You can however be booted by your doctor as they are not required to have you as a patient. After all, why would you want to waste time on a patient that lies to you or provides incomplete information.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: Can I Get in Legal Trouble for Lying on Medical History Questionaire (Not Insuran

You won't be sued but failure to disclose it could have an adverse affect on any treatment you receive since the doctor won't have a full picture of your medical history.

The only thing you risk by lying to your doctor is your life.

It could back fire in the future. Not al insurance has the same policy about preexisting conditions. It could be used as evidence that you have a history of lying about preexisting medical conditions. It is not uncommon for a new doctor to get copies of your medical records from your previous doctor or primary care provider. Some doctors have the release form as part of their routine new patient paperwork. Often new patients sign the release form without realizing it.

Not al insurance has the same policy about preexisting conditions.

Ah, they do since 2010 when the ACA began prohibiting an insurance carrier from limiting or denying coverage based on a pre-existing condition.

Nonetheless, I agree that while not illegal, it is stupid to omit part of your medical history to your doctor.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Not al insurance has the same policy about preexisting conditions.

Ah, they do since 2010 when the ACA began prohibiting an insurance carrier from limiting or denying coverage based on a pre-existing condition.

Nonetheless, I agree that while not illegal, it is stupid to omit part of your medical history to your doctor.
    Short term policies do not have to go by the ACA for pre-existing conditions. No one knows for sure what their future holds. They may need a short term policy in the future In addition, no one knows the future when it comes to the ACA. The pre-existing protections the ACA provides now may or may not be in effect in years to come.

No.

But failure to be truthful with a medical provider about your medical history could lead to all sorts of things, up to and including your death.

1. If the application is for DOT physical, it just may be a criminal act not to disclose medical and prescription history.
    2. If it is for life insurance, you would be wasting your money if you didn't disclose it, because at the time of your death, they breakout the magnifying-glass and come through your medical history to see how they can deny your claim. And not disclosing a medical condition is a right to deny your claim.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting amyY1978aa
    View Post
    My question involves malpractice in the state of: CA

I have an appointment with a healthcare professional next week.

They want me to fill out a medical history questionnaire as a new patient.

If I leave out a medical condition that I was diagnosed with almost a decade ago, can I get into legal trouble if they find out later?

Why? I want to leave out a particular medical condition that due to the way I have handled it almost always causes distraction to the appointment because they just go off about it and make me feel bad. It's emotionally draining. I have an aversion to see healthcare professionals because of the anticipated response, but I really want to go to this appointment and not have to worry about their judgment on this matter. The appointment is not about the medical condition.

I just don't want to be sued or something. I don't think it's possible, but I want to check here just in case.
    Are you currently receiving treatment for this medical condition? If you are not, perhaps you should consider it. It sounds,like the heath condition is serious or potentially serious. Depending on what the health condition is. it is possible the new healthcare provider will.suspect it or realize it without you mentioning it.

It is common for new healthcare providers to get copies of your medical records from your last healthcare provider. If the new one does, he or she will be aware of the condition without you telling them.

1. Sponsored Links