Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kings Coach As Eg. Misguided. Need More Direction

My question involves defamation in the state of: CA. If you didnít know the kings coach luke Walton was tied with sexual harsssment. The accuser ended up dropping the case though. Considering he wasnít charged, I donít want to automatically label him as a creep but I canít help but think of him at least a bit side eyed since others like Julio Jones and Derek Carr donít have this action tied to their names. The biggest point: I don't want to automatically discredit a woman's claims as false (wrong) but I don't wanna automatically label a guy as a creep when there can also be a fair chance it can be just accusations (also wrong). You get what I mean? Also itís like what if one of my friends was tied to such an accusation when he did not do such a deed.

Default Re: Kings Coach As Eg. Misguided. Need More Direction

My advice to you is keep your mouth shut and your keyboard silent.

These people have lawyers who will sue you back to the stone age and it will cost you tens of thousands of dollars to climb out from under even if you win.

If the victims don't want to put these harassers in jail, that's their problem, not yours.

Quote Quoting nflmissile
    View Post
    My question involves defamation in the state of: CA. If you didn’t know the kings coach luke Walton was tied with sexual harsssment. The accuser ended up dropping the case though. Considering he wasn’t charged, I don’t want to automatically label him as a creep but I can’t help but think of him at least a bit side eyed since others like Julio Jones and Derek Carr don’t have this action tied to their names. The biggest point: I don't want to automatically discredit a woman's claims as false (wrong) but I don't wanna automatically label a guy as a creep when there can also be a fair chance it can be just accusations (also wrong). You get what I mean? Also it’s like what if one of my friends was tied to such an accusation when he did not do such a deed.
    When it comes to public figures the U.S. Supreme Court has held in a series of cases that in order for the public figure to successfully sue for defamation the public figure not only needs to prove that the statements made were false statements of fact that injured his/her reputation (which is necessary for any defamation claim) but in addition must prove that the person made the statements with actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth. Because of that, it is much harder for a public figure to successfully sue for defamation than it is for some regular person who is not in the public eye.

That said, you do run a potential risk of being sued if you go around stating as fact that the coach committed sexual harassment. Even if the coach were to lose the lawsuit, it could cost you many thousands of dollars to defend the claim. Also, I would hope you would not want to run the risk of adding to trashing the reputation of someone else merely on unproven allegations or rumors.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    When it comes to public figures the U.S. Supreme Court has held in a series of cases that in order for the public figure to successfully sue for defamation the public figure not only needs to prove that the statements made were false statements of fact that injured his/her reputation (which is necessary for any defamation claim) but in addition must prove that the person made the statements with actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth. Because of that, it is much harder for a public figure to successfully sue for defamation than it is for some regular person who is not in the public eye.

That said, you do run a potential risk of being sued if you go around stating as fact that the coach committed sexual harassment. Even if the coach were to lose the lawsuit, it could cost you many thousands of dollars to defend the claim. Also, I would hope you would not want to run the risk of adding to trashing the reputation of someone else merely on unproven allegations or rumors.
    Also how likely is it do you think the claims are false? I donít want to cut him a break if he did it but I donít wanna label him as a creep if he didnít do these things. Thus if I spread word calling him a creep and why I think he did those acts, can I get sued even talking amongst casual groups and not public??

The only people who know exactly what happened are the two people involved. It's not for you to decide what happened. In the absence of proof one way or the other, the only safe action for you to take is no action.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    The only people who know exactly what happened are the two people involved. It's not for you to decide what happened. In the absence of proof one way or the other, the only safe action for you to take is no action.
    The biggest point: I don't want to automatically discredit a woman's claims as false (wrong) but I don't wanna automatically label a guy as a creep when there can also be a fair chance it can be just accusations (also wrong). Itís like if Iím asked what I think whatís a good reply to the question if Iím not wanting to call anybody a liar?

Quote Quoting nflmissile
    View Post
    Also how likely is it do you think the claims are false? I donít want to cut him a break if he did it but I donít wanna label him as a creep if he didnít do these things. Thus if I spread word calling him a creep and why I think he did those acts, can I get sued even talking amongst casual groups and not public??
    Yes, you can get sued if your comments get out, even if you only tell your mother.

Quote Quoting nflmissile
    View Post
    The biggest point: I don't want to automatically discredit a woman's claims as false (wrong) but I don't wanna automatically label a guy as a creep when there can also be a fair chance it can be just accusations (also wrong). Itís like if Iím asked what I think whatís a good reply to the question if Iím not wanting to call anybody a liar?
    You say "Oh, I have no opinion on that." Then change the subject.

What is with you, that you are so obsessed with the idea that you have to weigh in on this when you have no idea which side is telling the truth?

You need to re-evaluate yourself and just stay out of it.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Yes, you can get sued if your comments get out, even if you only tell your mother.

You say "Oh, I have no opinion on that." Then change the subject.

What is with you, that you are so obsessed with the idea that you have to weigh in on this when you have no idea which side is telling the truth?

You need to re-evaluate yourself and just stay out of it.
    No opinion makes sense but how much does that sound like Iím defending him? Also Iíve read and itís believable a majority of women donít make up stuff for defaming or money.

[QUOTE=adjusterjack;1131868]Yes, you can get sued if your comments get out, even if you only tell your mother.

How can I get sued if I said that?? Isnít that freedoms of speech? Like if I call someone a pedophole and theyíre not one how exactly can I get sued for that??

Quote Quoting nflmissile
    View Post

How can I get sued if I said that?? Isn’t that freedoms of speech? Like if I call someone a pedophole and they’re not one how exactly can I get sued for that??
    You're not understanding the difference between being sued and being sued successfully. To file a lawsuit all somebody needs is a belief (right or wrong) that you have done him wrong. Then it's just a matter of writing the summons and complaint, filing it with the court and serving it on you. Then you experience the onerous and expensive process of defending yourself.

Freedom of speech is not absolute. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater (when there is no fire) and not experience serious consequences.

And you can't tell lies about people with impunity. If you call somebody a pedophile (when he isn't) and somebody believes you and that person loses his job and his reputation because you lied about him, you get to experience the consequences.

At this point I think you are either a troll or basically just a rotten person trying to justify engaging in defamation. Either way I'm done with this conversation.

Good luck with your life.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You're not understanding the difference between being sued and being sued successfully. To file a lawsuit all somebody needs is a belief (right or wrong) that you have done him wrong. Then it's just a matter of writing the summons and complaint, filing it with the court and serving it on you. Then you experience the onerous and expensive process of defending yourself.

Freedom of speech is not absolute. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater (when there is no fire) and not experience serious consequences.

And you can't tell lies about people with impunity. If you call somebody a pedophile (when he isn't) and somebody believes you and that person loses his job and his reputation because you lied about him, you get to experience the consequences.

At this point I think you are either a troll or basically just a rotten person trying to justify engaging in defamation. Either way I'm done with this conversation.

Good luck with your life.
    Iím misguided and lost in this. So if someone said no opinion is another way to say I defend sexual harassment whatís a good counter??

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast