Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Quote-Mining Social Media and a Serious Breach of Trust

In the years I've been operating anonymously online, things have been particularly rough for me since this past summer. See, there's a Website for religion-hating and conservative-hating atheist liberals whose members have been persistently following me and sniffing around my other social media accounts besides this one, looking for any excuse they can to take what I write out of context to mischaracterize me with dehumanizing labels like racist, sexist, homophobe, transphobe, etc., and rip apart my writings on their own echo chamber of a site. Despite attempts to negotiate with them peacefully, explaining why I'm not as bigoted as they think I am and even entrusting them with my church's private denomination, they refused to remove from their site any social media posts of mine that they've quote-mined, even after I delete or modify them. Things got worse last month when one of their members, whom I trusted to keep my denomination private, publicly revealed it and encouraged others to slander it (and me).

I'm not so much upset by the fact that they disclosed my family's secret church without my permission so much as I am upset that they broke my trust at all, which adds insult to the injury of quote-mining me to make me look like a modern Hitler or something. Considering I once nearly faced legal trouble for disclosing some sensitive personal info about a former colleague before I voluntarily redacted that information upon realizing how private it was, I'm also upset that the user who disclosed my denomination has gotten off scot-free for doing the very same to me without either comeuppance or efforts towards redaction of the sensitive information.

Whatever a normal person would do, these Internet trolls always do the opposite.

I don't want to spend any money on this. I don't want to make any money off of this. I just want to resolve this as quickly and as legally as possible so I can protect my online reputation—and preferably before my family finds out that our biggest secret has been compromised. The enemy site's users have vowed never to give up on stalking or slandering me as long as I exercise my right to freedom of expression as an American conservative, and they stubbornly hold on to every quote in their site's archives, so the only legal punishment that makes sense is the permanent shutdown of their site.

So, how should I go about this matter legally?

Thank you for your help in advance,
    ~Cartoonist

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Quote-Mining Social Media and a Serious Breach of Trust

Generally speaking you can do little to prevent what you describe. What you post on social media is effectively public domain. In other words, once you post it it's forever.

As to the rest...speaking as one of the "enemy", perhaps you're description of us gets out back up. Perhaps you really are all of the things that you profess not to be, bearing in mind that you don't get to make that final determination, it will be those that you offend. If what you're posting states that a group is evil or an abomination, for instance, you will be branded as being a wholesale hater of that group and your protestation won't change that.

See, there's a Website for religion-hating and conservative-hating atheist liberals whose members have been persistently following me and sniffing around my other social media accounts besides this one, looking for any excuse they can to take what I write out of context to mischaracterize me with dehumanizing labels like racist, sexist, homophobe, transphobe, etc., and rip apart my writings on their own echo chamber of a site. Despite attempts to negotiate with them peacefully, explaining why I'm not as bigoted as they think I am and even entrusting them with my church's private denomination, they refused to remove from their site any social media posts of mine that they've quote-mined, even after I delete or modify them. Things got worse last month when one of their members, whom I trusted to keep my denomination private, publicly revealed it and encouraged others to slander it (and me).
    The above bolded phrase indicates that you KNOW you're a bigot.

So...What you're saying is that you're writing have been misunderstood and taken out of context by "the enemy". Well, as my Drill Sergeant used to say (yup, I'm a gun-toting, liberal veteran. Hard to believe we exist, isn't it?) "Suck it up! What, do you think you're special?!" There's more in there but I can't write it here. It's possible that your writings are not being taken out of context, you just don't like how they're being interpreted. As to you feeling violated because you shared private information with a stranger and it leaked out...well! Shocker!

I'll tell you something that I heard as a clubber: two people can keep a secret but only if one of the is dead. You don't want your personal - and creepy - information splattered all over the internet then keep your grimy digits off'n that thar fancy typewriter, son, and go back to your secret church and hunker down because no one respects anyone's privacy on the 'net.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Cartoonist
    View Post
    So, how should I go about this matter legally?
    That's easy.

If you don't like what happens to you on social media, then disappear from social media. Permanently.

My guess is that what you write is inflammatory which is why you get the probably well-deserved backlash.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

My guess is that what you write is inflammatory…
    Um, yeah, I might be a conservative, but not to that extent. My top concern is that my privacy was violated and I can't convince them to take it back no matter how much it means to my family.

Perhaps my mother was correct when she told me when I was a boy not to put anything in writing that, per her words, we wouldn't want on a 40-foot-wide billboard. Even if it is a private conversation.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Perhaps you really are all of the things that you profess not to be, bearing in mind that you don't get to make that final determination, it will be those that you offend.
    Not as long as I don't let their thoughts affect mine.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    The above bolded phrase indicates that you KNOW you're a bigot.
    Absurd.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    I'm a gun-toting, liberal veteran. Hard to believe we exist, isn't it?
    Um, no. I don't like to believe in stereotypes.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    no one respects anyone's privacy on the 'net.
    Sure, now you tell me.

So far, you've both been a waste of my time. I thought I'd have actual legal help from trusted experts, but no, I've received more of the same bullcrap I got from everybody else I've asked so far. Can someone please lock this thread?

Quote Quoting Cartoonist
    View Post
    Um, yeah, I might be a conservative, but not to that extent. My top concern is that my privacy was violated and I can't convince them to take it back no matter how much it means to my family.
    It wasn't private anymore if you told somebody else.

Quote Quoting Cartoonist
    View Post
    Perhaps my mother was correct when she told me when I was a boy not to put anything in writing that, per her words, we wouldn't want on a 40-foot-wide billboard. Even if it is a private conversation.
    She was right.

Parents are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

We just don't realize it until we are older and become parents ourselves.

View Post
    It wasn't private anymore if you told somebody else.
    So much for private messages.

View Post
    She was right.

Parents are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

We just don't realize it until we are older and become parents ourselves.
    Pretty much. Being a parent does teach you quite a bit about people, so I've heard.

Forget this thread. I'll just sue for libel and slander and get the job done.

Quote Quoting Cartoonist
    View Post
    So much for private messages.

Pretty much. Being a parent does teach you quite a bit about people, so I've heard.

Forget this thread. I'll just sue for libel and slander and get the job done.
    Yes, sue them for what you said and them publicizing it. Go for it you great pillock!
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Yes, sue them for what you said and them publicizing it. Go for it you great pillock!
    *Sigh,* It’s not just that. It’s their slanderous commentary.

Can’t believe I wasted all this time here for nothing.

Quote Quoting Cartoonist
    View Post
    *Sigh,* It’s not just that. It’s their slanderous commentary.

Can’t believe I wasted all this time here for nothing.
    If you wrote it then it's not slander.
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    If you wrote it then it's not slander.
    *Facepalm,* I meant slanderous commentary against me, not what I wrote.

Also, please stop replying to this thread. When I say I’m done, it means I’m done.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast