Default Package Delivery

My question involves criminal law for the state of: South Carolina.
    Long story short. I ordered something and it was inadvertently sent to my old address (ex-wife). When I didnt receive it on time I called the company and was told that my wife received it, called them and told them she wants to return it. She posed as my current wife and used her name. I called the company and told the do not give her a return label under any circumstances. Anyway, she will not give me the package back. I called the local authorities and was told I'd have to pay $80 for a C&D just to get things started. After that it will have to go to civil court.
    When we divorced 4 years ago, the judge told her that if ANYTHING of mine is at the house, give it to him. If anything is ever delivered there for him, give it to him.
    Do I have any other legal recourse other than spending more money that I can't afford? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Default Re: Package Delivery

Quote Quoting Barlowe45
    View Post
    Long story short. I ordered something and it was inadvertently sent to my old address (ex-wife).
    Was this a result of your negligence when you placed the order? If not, how did this happen?

Quote Quoting Barlowe45
    View Post
    Do I have any other legal recourse other than spending more money that I can't afford?
    If local law enforcement won't get involved (which isn't surprising -- especially if the item was shipped to your ex as a result of your own negligence), then your only recourse is to sue her. What is the value of the item in question?

I ordered from this company, Guitar Center, many times during my previous marriage so I guess they still had my old address. When placing this order I used my current address which I have used several times in the past year with no such problems.
    $179 was total for items plus shipping.

I ordered from this company, Guitar Center, many times during my previous marriage so I guess they still had my old address. When placing this order I used my current address which I have used several times in the past year with no such problems.
    $179 total

It was either your error or Guitar Center's error. You can sue you Ex for the $179, contact Guitar Center about them sending your order your old address, or write it off and make sure Guitar Center and other places you order from have ONLY your correct address.

why not just let her return it to Guitar Center? presumably if its returned, they'll credit off the amount you paid them for it. and then you can re-order it and make very sure it gets sent to the correct address.

Quote Quoting Barlowe45
    View Post
    This doesn't clearly answer my question. It sounds like you might be saying it was the merchant's mistake. If this wasn't because of your negligence, then the merchant should make good on it.

Quote Quoting MiddlePart
    View Post
    why not just let her return it to Guitar Center? presumably if its returned, they'll credit off the amount you paid them for it. and then you can re-order it and make very sure it gets sent to the correct address.
    This is something OP should clarify. I read the original post as saying that the merchant told him that the ex-wife wanted to return the item but that this information was in error and she does not intend to return it. However, it's not at all clear if that's correct.

My comment was based mainly on this statement from the original post, which I interpreted as the OP telling Guitar Center not to issue a return label.

I called the company and told the do not give her a return label under any circumstances

Quote Quoting MiddlePart
    View Post
    My comment was based mainly on this statement from the original post, which I interpreted as the OP telling Guitar Center not to issue a return label.

I called the company and told the do not give her a return label under any circumstances
    Yup. That's part of why the original post is unclear.

Quote Quoting MiddlePart
    View Post

Perhaps the OP mistakenly believes the return label would have his address for the address it is sent from. The return label would have the ex's address on it.

1. Sponsored Links