Default Will I Pass or Fail This Fingerprint Check Juvenile/17 Quashed Arrest. No Charges, Q

Would like to preface and say that this is for an IT position as Help Desk Analyst position, doing a fingerprint background check. And Iíd like to apologize for the wall of text. Iím just currently very anxious and nervous, and have no idea about this topic so I need an outside opinion.

At 17, I made a stupid decision and ran over a subdivision sign. I was arrested, and the charges I was arrested on were a Misdemeanor and Felony. Now... The subdivision I ran the sign over? They didn't press charges. It was 'quashed' or however my parents put it when it explained to me. Nothign shows up on any background checks I have at jobs since then. My fingerprints and picture were taken at the station. After I was arrested nothing came of it. No court appearances.

This new job I'm applying for is doing a MACHS fingerprint test. What I'm worried about is... Since my fingerprints were taken at the time, will the arrest show up on the record? Mind you, this is when I was still a juvenile/17 in Missouri. I know nothing shows up charge wise since I've never put down any charges and passed the tests. The job is mainly looking for misdemeanors and felonies. I know those won't show up. What I want to know is, will the arrest show up on the fingerprint background test, will it show what the charges I was arrested on were?This was all done at 17, juvenile in Missouri. Or at least I think it would have qualified for a juvenile record since I wasn't 18 at the time. If I'm wrong on any of this, please do let me know -- I don't pretend to be knowing of this kinda' stuff.

I don't want my fingerprints to make me fail. It's pass/fail strictly on misdemeanors or felonies. Am I safe? The moment I walked out of the police station, I never heard anything from it again. Didn't have a follow-up or anything. No court appearance, no nothing -- Completely done with once I left. My parents also had me signed up for that fingerprint program that they have children do in the event their kidnapped -- Would that register as the reason why my fingerprints are on record? I'm really sorry if I'm being anxious about this -- I haven't had to do a fingerprint background check, ever, it's always been the name-based one.

Default Re: Will I Pass or Fail This Fingerprint Check Juvenile/17 Quashed Arrest. No Charges

Background checks that require fingerprints don't add anything special to the process other than finding people who were arrested, charged, and or convicted under another name. Since this isn't the case in hear you have very little to worry about.

Chill and good luck in your new job.

Default Re: Will I Pass or Fail This Fingerprint Check Juvenile/17 Quashed Arrest. No Charges

Thank you. I was just nervous that my arrest and fingerprints taken were going to count against me. Iím glad they chose not to pursue it. That arrest I have could have screwed me had they decided otherwise. Lol

Hang on, I have to ask this right here ó Doesnít that mean his arrest would still be seen? Iím not calling you wrong, but he did say that he WAS arrested and taken into the station because he did a hit and run (from what I gather) and had his fingerprints taken along with a photo.

I think heís asking if that arrest will still show up when they do the fingerprint test - Looking it up, it says MACHS will reference any, and all, arrest records. Heís just asking if the fact that he didnít get charged and it never went to court or arraignment will show why he was arrested, or if it will show the arrest at all.

Again, not calling you wrong. Iím just asking weíre on the same page about his question.

Quote Quoting BeethovenXIX
    View Post
    Hang on, I have to ask this right here — Doesn’t that mean his arrest would still be seen? I’m not calling you wrong, but he did say that he WAS arrested and taken into the station because he did a hit and run (from what I gather) and had his fingerprints taken along with a photo.

I think he’s asking if that arrest will still show up when they do the fingerprint test - Looking it up, it says MACHS will reference any, and all, arrest records. He’s just asking if the fact that he didn’t get charged and it never went to court or arraignment will show why he was arrested, or if it will show the arrest at all.

Again, not calling you wrong. I’m just asking we’re on the same page about his question.
    He doesn't have a conviction for a misdemeanor or felony. The charges were apparently dismissed. Now the arrest record might show up, but if that is the case, the fact that the charges were dismissed should also show up.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    He doesn't have a conviction for a misdemeanor or felony. The charges were apparently dismissed. Now the arrest record might show up, but if that is the case, the fact that the charges were dismissed should also show up.
    This would be correct. I was wondering if the arrest itself would cause me to fail the fingerprint background check even though the charges were dropped. The company is essentially only wanting to verify I have neither a felony or misdemeanor charge. I just wasnít sure if the arrest would still show up, and if so, if it was a grey area that could cause me to fail.

They arenít seeing the history. The State Highway Patrol is just forwarding them if I pass or fail based on the charges on record, which I donít have. Is it safe to still assume the arrest should NOT cause me to fail since the charges were dropped? I literally never heard about this again once I left the police station. Is it safe to still assume the arrest shouldnít cause a fail?

Quote Quoting AdamantEG
    View Post
    This would be correct. I was wondering if the arrest itself would cause me to fail the fingerprint background check even though the charges were dropped. The company is essentially only wanting to verify I have neither a felony or misdemeanor charge. I just wasn’t sure if the arrest would still show up, and if so, if it was a grey area that could cause me to fail.

They aren’t seeing the history. The State Highway Patrol is just forwarding them if I pass or fail based on the charges on record, which I don’t have. Is it safe to still assume the arrest should NOT cause me to fail since the charges were dropped? I literally never heard about this again once I left the police station. Is it safe to still assume the arrest shouldn’t cause a fail?
    There is no way that anyone can say with any certainty. Each company has their own criteria.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    There is no way that anyone can say with any certainty. Each company has their own criteria.
    That's what I was afraid of. They said they're only basing it on the criteria of if their is a felony or misdemeanor *charge* on the record, so I'm good on that front. I'm just worried if the arrest will cause me to fail. They aren't actually viewing it, which is the kicker -- Someone else is going to see the results then let them know if it's a pass-or-fail. My main inquiry was just if an arrest (with no charges for either a misdemeanor or felony) could somehow cause a fail. As I said, they're only looking for misdemeanor or felony charges. I'd imagine I'm safe since, while I was arrested, the charges were ultimately quashed, or whatever the term is. I'd imagine that if everyone were to fail a fingerprint test because of an arrest like this, then a lot of people would be S.O.L, since people could be arrested incorrectly and then it would show up on their record, even if it was a mistake or the wrong person was apprehended.

Based on the criteria they told me, I'm 90% certain I'm safe -- It's just one of those things that I'm nervous about since it's a grey area. I don't know how often an arrest will bar you from a job if it's a fingerprint test, but I don't see how it would bar me from this since there are no actual felony or misdemeanor charges to speak of.

1. Sponsored Links