Default Landlord Says I Canít See My Mom

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Virginia

My parents live in a mobile home park where they own their mobile home but rent the lot. They have been there for 15 years.

I moved to a different mobile home in the same park and was living in that mobile home for 2 years. I fell behind on rent and was evicted. I have not finished paying the owed rent.

I go see my mom about every other day. She had open heart surgery so I go there to make sure she is okay, clean for her, buy groceries and etc. She does have a nurse but the nurse only comes two days a week. My father works full time and is gone much of the day. She was told today by the landlord that I canít visit her because I still owe them rent.

Is that legal?

Default Re: Landlord Says I Canít See My Mom

Legal for him to tell her? Certainly.

Legal for him to take any action if you come on the property (including common areas), to visit her after being told to stay off? Quite probably.
    Take action against your parents (eviction) for violating his rules in that matter. Also quite probably.

No, of course it's not legal. He can't prevent you from visiting your mother in her home.

Virginia Manufactured Home Lot Rental Act Section 55.1-1306:

B. A guest or invitee of the tenant shall have free access to the tenant's manufactured home site without charge or registration.
    https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodep...ot-rental-act/

Your Mom would be wise to study up on the Act and you and she should print out that section and each of you keep a copy with you to show the landlord in case you get confronted or he attempts to trespass you.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Legal for him to tell her? Certainly.

Legal for him to take any action if you come on the property (including common areas), to visit her after being told to stay off? Quite probably.
    Take action against your parents (eviction) for violating his rules in that matter. Also quite probably.
    Given the section I just quoted, no, not probably at all.

Further, there are limitations on the actions the LL can take against the parents. Also addressed in the statute.

I don't think there is a damned thing the LL can do about the OP visiting his mother, besides blowing hot air.

He hasnít spoken to me at all and I havenít received any notification

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    No, of course it's not legal. He can't prevent you from visiting your mother in her home.

Virginia Manufactured Home Lot Rental Act Section 55.1-1306:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodep...ot-rental-act/

Your Mom would be wise to study up on the Act and you and she should print out that section and each of you keep a copy with you to show the landlord in case you get confronted or he attempts to trespass you.
    It's possible that this is a correct interpretation of this law. However, I disagree that it's the only possible interpretation and that this section expressly allows tenants to allow guests on the common areas of a park if the owner of the park has banned them.

The smart thing for the OP to do would be to pay the debt that is apparently admittedly owned (or, at the very least, start making payments against that debt).

1. Sponsored Links