Exclamation Landlord Gave Us a Rent Increase of 17% for Less Than 60 Days from Now

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Massachusetts.

I was just informed that my rent will be going up by almost 200 dollars in less than 60 days. Our landlord last year increased the rent by only $25, but within a year of when this second increase is to take place. We signed a lease, but since it expired, we haven't gotten a new lease from the landlord, even though we have been here for a year and a half. Is there anything I can do? Is this a normal amount of increase to be charging?

Default Re: Landlord Gave Us a Rent Increase of 17% for Less Than 60 Days from Now

There's no restriction on the rent rate or amount of increase the landlord is allowed in your state.

As an "at-will" (or month-to-month as it is frequently called) tenant. They only need to give you a month's notice on the change of rent.

Default Re: Landlord Gave Us a Rent Increase of 17% for Less Than 60 Days from Now

Quote Quoting Summerbaby
    View Post
    Is there anything I can do?
    I feel reasonably confident that you can do lots of things, including move, but I doubt that's what you you actually intended to ask.

Quote Quoting Summerbaby
    View Post
    Is this a normal amount of increase to be charging?
    Whether it is or isn't "normal" (whatever that might mean) is legally irrelevant.

I assume your intent was to ask whether any Massachusetts law prohibits the rent increase that you mentioned. The answer to that question is no (Massachusetts apparently banned rent control about 25 years ago).

1. Sponsored Links