Default 30 Days Notice

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Kansas
    I am an international student living in Kansas. I was living in an apartment which had its lease till the 31st of Jan. I was sent regular emails to extend my lease but since I was planning to move out I didn't sign the extension. Now I'm new to the US and I had no idea that I had to let the renter know 30 days prior of moving out. I moved out before the 31st and after 2 days received a notification that the rent of February was being taken from me as well. I contacted the leasing agent and they said there's nothing they can do. If only I had received any email or message suggesting me to give a notice prior leaving from them I would have done it. I am a student and giving out the rent of 2 places in a month is really tough for me. Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: 30 Days Notice

What did the lease say about notification, expiration, etc.? If those topics were expressly addressed in the lease, then you were obligated to follow the procedures stated there.

Yes, I think there is.

Chapter 58 PERSONAL AND REAL PROPERTY
    Article 25 LANDLORDS AND TENANTS
    58-2509. Notice to quit not necessary, when.
    Where the time for the termination of a tenancy is specified in the contract, or where a tenant at will commits waste, or in the case of a tenant by sufferance, and in any case where the relation of landlord and tenant does not exist, no notice to quit shall be necessary.
    However, now you have to read your lease to see if your lease required you to give 30 days notice that you weren't renewing because the statute allows the lease to include terms and conditions not prohibited by the statute.

Chapter 58 PERSONAL AND REAL PROPERTY
    Article 25 LANDLORDS AND TENANTS
    58-2545. Rental agreement; terms and conditions in absence thereof.
    (a) The landlord and tenant may include in a rental agreement, terms and conditions not prohibited by this act or other rule of law, including rent, term of the agreement and other provisions governing the rights and obligations of the parties.
    If your lease does have the 30 day notice provision, then it was right there in front of you in black and white and nobody had any obligation to tell you about it.

As indicated at the other site where you asked about this, what your lease says is of utmost importance to this issue.

1. Sponsored Links