Default Live in Tn, Owned My Home Before Marriage, Can I Use the Forms and File Myself

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Tennessee, me and my spouse have been married for almost 7 years and are now getting a divorce. i owned my own home when we got married, i have been trying to find the proper paperwork to fill out but the ones i have state that i cannot use them if one of us owns property. is there a way around this or do i need to hire lawyer? Spouse is not interested in obtaining property thru divorce.

Default Re: Live in Tn, Owned My Home Before Marriage, Can I Use the Forms and File Myself

It appears that you will need to consult with a lawyer. There's not an obvious way around it.
    The fact that you are in general agreement about the status of the real property will hopefully make the resulting process simpler.

Default Re: Live in Tn, Owned My Home Before Marriage, Can I Use the Forms and File Myself

Quote Quoting ryder1027
    View Post
    i have been trying to find the proper paperwork to fill out but the ones i have state that i cannot use them if one of us owns property. is there a way around this or do i need to hire lawyer?
    I'm not entirely sure what "is there a way around this means." We obviously have no idea what paperwork you have or why it might say you can't use it if you own property (by the way, everyone owns property, so I assume it means real property -- i.e., real estate). Given that you own a home, trying to do this yourself without at least consulting with a divorce attorney would be foolish.

Thanks for your response. I should have phrased that better. Is there additional paperwork that i could fill out without seeing a lawyer is what i meant. The paperwork i received from the courthouse states that if either owns Real property we cannot use those forms. I owned my home before we got married.

Thanks so much for replying! Hopefully it will be quick and (almost) painless..

Quote Quoting ryder1027
    View Post
    Thanks for your response. I should have phrased that better. Is there additional paperwork that i could fill out without seeing a lawyer is what i meant. The paperwork i received from the courthouse states that if either owns Real property we cannot use those forms. I owned my home before we got married.

Thanks so much for replying! Hopefully it will be quick and (almost) painless..
    Fair disclosure: I neither live nor practice in Tennessee, and I don't know if any of the others who post here regularly are Tennessee attorneys.

That being said, some states offer simplified and expedited divorces when the parties have no kids, don't own real property and have assets less than a particular amount. Sounds like TN might offer such an option and that you may have gotten forms specific to that situation. Whether TN has pre-printed forms that you can use is something I don't know, but here's a link to the Davidson County Circuit Court's website that has a bunch of forms. You could also visit a law library and ask the librarian to help you find self-help divorce books.

Why the reluctance to at least consult with a local divorce attorney? Consultations are typically free.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Consultations are typically free.
    I'm not directing this at you. Many member seem to say this. And it's just not true.

What a free consultation is, is the lawyer or lawyer firm looking for lucrative law cases or those they can sign on as clients for their normal rates. You don't get legal advice unless you are willing to pay for it. It's kind of a scam in my opinion.

The definition of consultation is the action or process of formally consulting or discussing or a meeting with an expert or professional, in order to seek advice.

Over the last year, I have contacted many law firms (in my area) trying to get a simple answer to a question on employment law. All said they give an initial consultation free. But in every case, it turns out that they will not answer a question of law unless you pay for it. Some were big multi state firms and some were just local lawyers. The result was always the same. You retain us and well will answer your question. Otherwise, we are not interested unless you have some lucrative case that we may take on (like a class action).

One large law firm had me on the phone for over an hour interviewing me. They said I would have my answer in 14 days after the lawyers reviewed the interview. Well after 4 weeks I call and ask about it. The answer was that they were not interested. Interested in what I asked. They said they were not interested in taking the case. I said I only wanted a question of law answered. I wasn't suing anyone. No retainer then no advice. Plain and simple.

The definition of consultation is the action or process of formally consulting or discussing or a meeting with an expert or professional, in order to seek advice.
    The operative word "seek" not get.

The purpose of the consultation is for the attorney to get the details of your situation (criminal or civil), decide if he wants to take the case, tell you how much it may cost, and determine if you can pay for it. It's a bit different for personal injury cases where intake is often done by a paralegal who gets your information so the attorney can determine if there is enough potential money in it.

TANSTAAFL.

You just don't get any advice unless you pay for it. It's just that simple. The free consultation is for the attorney's benefit not yours.

1. Sponsored Links