Default Is It Possible Without Fear of Legal Charges Being Filed

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: ohio. I have a legal salesperson license for a BHPH carlot. My boyfriend and I purchased a car while together, but the title was not transferred into either of our names. We since split up, the car is still in the carlots name, and he says the car is his. Since I do have a valid salesperson license, can I do the title work on my own behalf legally and without fear of getting hit with any legal charges? Note: (he is the mechanic at the lot, and I worked in the office, but owner hasn't sent my license back to the state agency)

Default Re: Is It Possible Without Fear of Legal Charges Being Filed

Quote Quoting Nd2inquire
    View Post
    My boyfriend and I purchased a car while together, but the title was not transferred into either of our names.
    Because...?? And how long ago did this purchase occur?

Quote Quoting Nd2inquire
    View Post
    the car is still in the carlots name. . . . Since I do have a valid salesperson license, can I do the title work on my own behalf legally and without fear of getting hit with any legal charges?
    I have no idea what your salesperson license allows you to do, but I seriously doubt it imbues you with authority to sign on behalf of the current registered owner of the car.

Why don't you call or visit the lot that sold you the car and give someone an earful about getting the title transfer done?

Default Re: Is It Possible Without Fear of Legal Charges Being Filed

Quote Quoting Nd2inquire
    View Post
    I have a legal salesperson license for a BHPH carlot. My boyfriend and I purchased a car while together, but the title was not transferred into either of our names. We since split up, the car is still in the carlots name, and he says the car is his.
    How long ago was this purchase? What did you fill out on the paperwork when you purchased the vehicle? Whatever you filled out on the paperwork should reflect who owns the vehicle. If you "purchased" it from the lot you were working at and did not fill out any paperwork and create a sales jacket then you and/or the car lot may get into hot water with the BMV for violating regulations. It could also turn into a civil issue if he decides to sue for his part of the car. The seller of a vehicle has 30 days to provide a title or memorandum of title. If this was never done then the car lot could get in trouble for that too. And in Ohio Title proves ownership. So if it is still in the car lots name then neither of you currently have a claim to it unless you filled out proper sales paperwork.

Quote Quoting Nd2inquire
    View Post
    Since I do have a valid salesperson license, can I do the title work on my own behalf legally and without fear of getting hit with any legal charges? Note: (he is the mechanic at the lot, and I worked in the office, but owner hasn't sent my license back to the state agency)
    I'm assuming when you said "worked" and "owner hasn't sent my license back" you are no longer employed there. Keep in mind that in Ohio only the car lot whose name is on the title can legally transfer it to anyone else. If you no longer work there then you are not a representative of that car lot and can not legally transfer it. And in this instance it would be an incredibly dumb idea to do it yourself as it is personal business and there is a valid dispute on who owns the vehicle.

Two other things to keep in mind. You said "My boyfriend and I purchased a car while together." That means that you knowingly entered into this with him and he may have some claim on the title. Knowingly filling out false information on a title and transferring it to yourself is a Felony. Knowingly transferring a vehicle into your sole possession when you know someone else has part ownership can/has been charged as felony auto theft.

1. Sponsored Links