Default Wife Deposited Expired Copies of Two Checks on Accident - What Should I Do

My question involves personal finance in the State of: New York and Florida

Brief History: My mother passed in September of 2019. In 2018, she won a judgement from a scammer in Florida and received two restitution checks from the courts down there. Before she passed, she had begun to lose her faculties, and I found these checks in a pile with other unopened mail. Needless to say they were well past their date. For these checks (and others) I contacted the places where they came from to have them re-issued. Some places, including the courts in Florida, had me send the originals back to them. In these cases, since I am dealing with her estate, I made copies of the checks, cut them out, and stored the copies.

Present: After doing a desk re-organization, I found the two copies of the checks from Florida, and realizing that I had not yet received the re-issued checks, I put them in a conspicuous place on my desk to address the issue in the upcoming weeks. When I am busy, my wife helps me out with remedial tasks like check depositing with our mobile app. I mistakenly put these copies in the same general area where I put checks that need depositing.

I figured that they would not clear, but they have.

What steps should I take regarding this? If there were any laws that were inadvertently broken, I want to make sure that I stay ahead of the situation.

Any tips or suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Default Re: Wife Deposited Expired Copies of Two Checks on Accident - What Should I Do

What is the time frame? When were the checks returned and when were the copies deposited and cleared?

Since you (assuming) did not get the checks reissued and the banks only cleared the original checks,(copies as they might be) I don't see any fraud or theft involved.

I would just wait and see what happens.

Default Re: Wife Deposited Expired Copies of Two Checks on Accident - What Should I Do

The original checks were sent back end of October, beginning of November time frame. The deposit happened last Friday.

I have not received re-issued checks at this point in time.

I am just worried that months down the line when I have totally forgotten about this, I will get some letter or phone call.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

1. Sponsored Links