Default Medical Insurance Acting in Bad Faith and Health Care Released Charges to Collection

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: WA

I was on an assignment in a foreign country for 3 years. I have a international health Insurance provided my employer as well as my employer's business travel insurance policy business visit, which covers 100% if something were to happen during visit. During a short term business in Feb 2018 visit to US I got hit by a car(nothing serious) and next morning i got checked out by primary care. Insurance company in this case should ideally process the claims under employer's business insurance but they processed it under my insurance and i am liable for the charges. When In the email EOB i saw that it was charged to my deductible and I called up the health care provider and told them that this had to be processed under my employer's business visit plan. I never received a followup and the next thing i know that it was released to collection (got to know from frequent calls on google voice). I called collection and disputed the charge but they released it to credit bureau.

I now relocated to Texas, US and have filed an appeal with Inusrance provider. They were supposed to get back to me in 30 days but it is close to 3 months and i havent heard back from them. On every follow-up they keep pushing the date forward.

I called up collection agency and they are telling me that they wont remove this from my credit report even if I were to settle this but they will update the collection account as settled. My understanding is that even paying this charge wont fix my credit score. I am at loss to how to handle this situation. I disputed this with credit reporting agency, all they came back with was that this 'debt' was against me and valid.

Few questions
    1. Can the collection release the account that was in dispute to credit reporting agency?
    2. Collection agency is charging me interest on the amount? Is that legal? If so, how much can they charge?
    3. Is it possible to challenge the insurance agency in small claims court for acting in bad faith?
    4. Is it possible to challenge the collection against me in consumer court?
    5. If i am challenging this can i challenge in Texas or should it be in WA?

Default Re: Medical Insurance Acting in Bad Faith and Health Care Released Charges to Collect

have you validated your debt

Default Re: Medical Insurance Acting in Bad Faith and Health Care Released Charges to Collect

Validation is a pointless step at this point because the debt is valid. All it will do is throw a temporary delay into things.

What your insurer should have paid or not is immaterial to the medical provider.

"Disputing" things with a collections agency doesn't change anything. They're not really much obliged to do anything other than verifying YOU are the one that the debt is about. They're not obliged to not report things that you are disputing. If you believe things are in error on your credit report you have to dispute it with the credit reporting agency.

They can charge whatever interest was in the original contract with the provider.

What makes you think this is bad faith?

What on earth is consumer court?

The issue would appear to be with your insurer/employer. Why is it the provider's fault YOU racked up medical expenses that didn't get paid?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Validation is a pointless step at this point because the debt is valid. All it will do is throw a temporary delay into things.

What your insurer should have paid or not is immaterial to the medical provider.

"Disputing" things with a collections agency doesn't change anything. They're not really much obliged to do anything other than verifying YOU are the one that the debt is about. They're not obliged to not report things that you are disputing. If you believe things are in error on your credit report you have to dispute it with the credit reporting agency.

They can charge whatever interest was in the original contract with the provider.

The issue would appear to be with your insurer/employer. Why is it the provider's fault YOU racked up medical expenses that didn't get paid?
    Are you saying that if your insurance carrier and healthcare provider screwed up with a complicated billing process, sent you a bill for a large sum of money, that you'd pay it first and then attempt to have them fix it and return your money to you? Unlikely!

I'd say that either the OP doesn't know what kind of insurances he has or none of this is his fault.

It is my daily experience that very few people know how to do their jobs anymore and somehow that becomes our burden? Even yesterday I went off on a bank manager who asked me to do something that no bank has asked me to do in 30 years, yet she insisted that she was right. Incompetence is everywhere now and my guess is that's what the OP is up against.

If anyone deserves to be stiffed it is our F'd up healthcare system.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    contract between provider and collection agency?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Insurance agency not processing the claim under the correct policy and then not processing appeal in their advertised time?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Small claims court

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I didn't refer to healthcare provider, my questions were related to insurance agency(not processing claim in under the correct policy) and collections (not willing to remove disputed collection even if it gets settled)

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    I'd say that either the OP doesn't know what kind of insurances he has or none of this is his fault.
    I am fairly certain that this should have been processed by my employer's business travel insurance instead of my personal one.

1. Sponsored Links