Default Attempting to Contest Left Turn Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: WA

I'm wondering if there are options for contesting based on signage etc? Before he attempts to get it deferred, maybe there's an out? 😁

Yes he knows he's an idiot. Last deferral (and ticket) 9 yrs ago.
    He had a physical issue, his right eye as no vision at the moment.

Before he simply attempts to mitigate, just thought I'd check with the experts.

I can't seem to find any legal information on requirements for signage...

Thanks

Default Re: Attempting to Contest Left Turn Ticket

What did the driver do that resulted in the ticket?

Put another way: describe the scene and what kind of signage you think should have been present at the scene.

There's not enough information in your post to be able to offer any meaningful suggestions.

The police officer stated that it was illegal to make the left.
    There is a right turn arrow on the street, and a sign that was obstructed by a vehicle.

Welcome back! The best procedure for any ticket should be to return the ticket with the “contested” box checked, serve/file a discovery request with the prosecutor, and review the officer’s statement for possible defenses.

We don’t have enough information yet but if you or he can later upload the officer’s statement and other discovery with personal info and ticket number redacted, maybe forum members can comment.

Probably he should read RCW 46.61.290 or any other applicable statutes and return to the location to take pictures. Then after examining the officer’s statement he probably will have a much better idea what if any defenses he has.

After requesting a contested hearing he still will have options to ask the prosecutor (if present) to amend to a non-moving violation or take his deferral assuming he is eligible.

The fact another vehicle blocked your view of a no-turn sign isn't exculpatory. As searcher99 aludes, in most cases in Washington State the officer will NOT be in court. The state's evidence will then be limited to the sworn statement the officer submits. Sometimes that statement isn't sufficient to convict and since the officer isn't there, the state has no option to correct or augment that statement.

Thanks Searcher. Not the best return, but I'm appreciative that I'm remembered. You helped SO much last time, I decided it was worth a shot for at bare minimum, a deferral.
    I've been searching for rules on sign placement, signs that are defaced etc, to see if he can use the fact that the sign is unreadable in its condition as a defense.
    We shall start with discovery and see where it takes us.
    Thanks all! ❤️

There is nothing in the laws about sign placement that's going to help you.
    Again, post the officer's sworn statement and let's see if it supports the charge against you.

1. Sponsored Links