Default Switching Schools Without Fathers Knowledge

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Wisconsin and Michigan

My husband and his sons mother have a court order in place in Wisconsin that he stays with her on the school days and reside with the Father on the weekends. But now she is getting divorced and moved to Michigan and has enrolled him in Michigan school district without the fathers approval. She has also said that she called the court in Wisconsin and they told her that she can enroll him in Michigan without the fathers knowledge because the court order told her that she has school placement in Wisconsin.

Now wouldn't they both have to agree because they have Joint legal custody? Edpecially in a different state.

Default Re: Switching Schools Without Fathers Knowledge

Quote Quoting Ellie1024
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Wisconsin and Michigan

My husband and his sons mother have a court order in place in Wisconsin that he stays with her on the school days and reside with the Father on the weekends. But now she is getting divorced and moved to Michigan and has enrolled him in Michigan school district without the fathers approval. She has also said that she called the court in Wisconsin and they told her that she can enroll him in Michigan without the fathers knowledge because the court order told her that she has school placement in Wisconsin.

Now wouldn't they both have to agree because they have Joint legal custody? Edpecially in a different state.
    Is it going to interfere in any way with his parenting time? Most likely she needs his approval, but for practical purposes, since he does not have the child on school days, unless it interferes with his parenting time in some manner making a stink about it might be counterproductive.

What is the distance between homes prior to the move and what is the new distance? That might be more of an immediate issue.

Quite likely yes. Your husband should consult with a local family law attorney ASAP.

I would be highly suspect of anyone claiming that "the court told them they could do X, Y, or Z". Courts are VERY careful about not giving any advice because it could be construed as legal advice and they aren't allowed to give legal advice. A court would more likely tell the ex to consult with an attorney about her specific case. They can explain court rules and even tell a person what forms they need and where to get them. They cannot interpret a decree or determine any type of custody issues through a phone call.

1. Sponsored Links