Default 22400 a California VC Impeding Traffic Ticket for Parking with Wheel on Fog Line

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California, Riverside County. On new years eve morning I parked on the shoulder of a mountain road along with other hikers. My front tire was about 6 inches into the traffic lane to the left of the white fog line. My rear tire was on but not to the left of the fog line. As I was about to drive away after our hike, a CHP officer walked across the highway to my car and asked if I knew I had parked about 12" into the road and wrote me a ticket for 22400 A VC impeding traffic.
    My daughter took photos of my car showing a passing car that had plenty of room to drive straight by my still parked car. If I contest this ticket in writing and include the photos, what are my chances of winning? If I lose, can I still go to traffic school in person or online to wipe the point from my record?

Default Re: 22400 a California VC Impeding Traffic Ticket for Parking with Wheel on Fog Line

Quote Quoting bjsdesign
    View Post
    If I contest this ticket in writing and include the photos, what are my chances of winning?
    Since we've never seen the photos, it's not really possible to assess this intelligently, but let's take a look at what VC 22400(a) says (in pertinent part): "No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law."

At the very least, the wording of the statute leaves you some room for argument that you did not "impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic."

Quote Quoting bjsdesign
    View Post
    If I lose, can I still go to traffic school in person or online to wipe the point from my record?
    After more than three weeks, I'm assuming you've received a courtesy notice from the court. Correct? If so, does it say anything about this? If not, I suggest you call the court and ask.

Default Re: 22400 a California VC Impeding Traffic Ticket for Parking with Wheel on Fog Line

If you lose the TBWD you can request a trial de novo which is a separate trial. You can request traffic school then ... but they do not have to allow you to take it. The availability of traffic school after a losing TBWD varies by county.

Some people place the request for traffic school into their TBWD so that if they lose they have requested it. How well that works, I cannot say.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting bjsdesign
    View Post
    My daughter took photos of my car showing a passing car that had plenty of room to drive straight by my still parked car.
    Maybe a car could pass by safely, but what about a motorhome or large truck?
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

1. Sponsored Links