Default Ex-Husband's Property with Order of Protection in Place

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: New York

I have an Order of Protection against my now ex-husband. He left in August 2019, and was given a temporary lift of the OP to get his belongings. He only grabbed a few things and his dog. The divorce was finalized December 2019, and doesn't state anything about retrieving property.

Most of his personal belongings remain in my house. I have reached out to two of his friends to try and get him his stuff, and they both refused to get involved. His parent's blocked my phone number in August, so I can't contact them. I feel like I've done my due diligence to try and get him his things. He has had months to have a friend, family member or legal representative reach out to get his things. I had to pay for the entire divorce (it was uncontested), and he left me with a $5,000 credit card bill (vet bill for the dog he took), so I am not exactly motivated to put any more money into helping this person out.

When can I legally donate his items (IDEAL SITUATION)?

OR: If I need to send him a letter, who should it come from? Who, from his side, should I request to have contact me?

Default Re: Ex-Husband's Property with Order of Protection in Place

You might be opening a real can of worms if you personally handle this. I suggest you have your lawyer send him notice that you will be disposing of his property at the end of (x) days if he doesn't arrange to have it picked up by somebody other than him and the arrangements are to be made through your lawyer.

Default Re: Ex-Husband's Property with Order of Protection in Place

Quote Quoting bzogby
    View Post
    My question involves restraining orders in the State of: New York

I have an Order of Protection against my now ex-husband. He left in August 2019, and was given a temporary lift of the OP to get his belongings. He only grabbed a few things and his dog. The divorce was finalized December 2019, and doesn't state anything about retrieving property.

Most of his personal belongings remain in my house. I have reached out to two of his friends to try and get him his stuff, and they both refused to get involved. His parent's blocked my phone number in August, so I can't contact them. I feel like I've done my due diligence to try and get him his things. He has had months to have a friend, family member or legal representative reach out to get his things. I had to pay for the entire divorce (it was uncontested), and he left me with a $5,000 credit card bill (vet bill for the dog he took), so I am not exactly motivated to put any more money into helping this person out.

When can I legally donate his items (IDEAL SITUATION)?

OR: If I need to send him a letter, who should it come from? Who, from his side, should I request to have contact me?
    You need to write him a letter, and you probably should write one to his parents as well, in case he doesn't open his. Let them know that his things are still at your house (preferably boxed up and ready to go) and that you are giving him 30 days to arrange to have someone pick them up from your home.

In the alternative, you could have someone (a friend perhaps) deliver the things to your ex, yourself.

1. Sponsored Links